British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-20, 10:59 PM

Cool Badges for consideration?

In the past I have put badges up for members inspection before offering them in the classified section which I have always thought was a good idea, I am not a dealer, but a collector of some 65+years.

However, nobody IMO knows the lot about British and Colonial insignia and opinions vary, further research can change opinions and many items fall into a "grey area".

Some badges are definite fakes and I think most members will agree that pointing out signs of known fakes on the forum is a great thing for prospective buyers, however, I think unless badges can be pointed out with good reasoning as being wrong, we as collectors should keep an open mind and not dismiss them as fakes.

Rob
Old 01-08-20, 11:11 PM

Totally agree, you’re always at school.
Old 02-08-20, 12:17 AM

I also try to keep an open mind on some of this, but once a particular badge is condemned, it is difficult to surmount. I have kept a few which I feel may yet have a chance, even though thought to be bad on this forum.
I often wonder just how some of them came about to be regarded as bad.
With regard to "colonial" badges, I can only refer to British Indian badges, which I collect as well. Very little definite information is available on these and one must often go on gut feelings with regard to originality.

CB
Old 02-08-20, 02:23 AM

I agree as well.

I also have to admit that it was recently recommend to me to get an opinion before listing an item for sale. For what ever reason, I that that might be considered poor taste, but now know it's preferred and will definitely heed that advice.

Terry
Old 02-08-20, 09:30 AM

I would suggest selling ‘grey area’ badges on here is bad practice.

Dealers no doubt do this moving on badges which are ‘maybe ok’ to their minds and get pummelled on here for it when someone in the forum knows something they don’t about their badge and it’s not right.

Personally I only sell badges on here that I’d happily have in my collection and are 100% original. Selling iffy or grey area stuff in my opinion shouldn’t be done here.

I take your point about the known fakes but how does anyone actually ‘know’ they are fakes. None of us were there when the die was cut. Rather it’s an extremely high likelihood a certain die is fake but no one has evidence for it that would stand up at court. Rather you see a lot of modern badges that exhibit a certain trait, it may or may not appear in a repro catalogue or be sold by know repro sellers... strong circumstantial evidence but not proof in the truest sense of the word.

There are always badges which fall into grey areas, which the answer is I don’t know. In these situations I either don’t comment or say I don’t know. In my opinion these are always worth keeping and worthy of further research. Completely agree it is best to approach all situations with an open mind.

I’ve decided to take a leaf out of P.B.’s book and no longer comment on authenticity of others items.
Old 02-08-20, 10:11 AM

Default badges

Hi Luke,

please don't be too hasty with your decision not to comment on badges. I for one, count on your expertise and knowldege and you have saved me on numerous occasions from either making a bad purchase or assisting me in deciding to return recent purchases. It is a minefield out there with a lot of bad items and your knowledge is vital in weeding those out from the hobby.

Mark
Old 02-08-20, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi Luke,

please don't be too hasty with your decision not to comment on badges. I for one, count on your expertise and knowldege and you have saved me on numerous occasions from either making a bad purchase or assisting me in deciding to return recent purchases. It is a minefield out there with a lot of bad items and your knowledge is vital in weeding those out from the hobby.

Mark

Me too.

Chris
Old 02-08-20, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Me too.

Chris
I too often rely on your expertese.

If the person doesnt like your opinion then tough!

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 02-08-20, 11:32 AM

Luke,

Please do continue to offer your assessments on the validity of a badge as the forensic and comparative detail you provide can only add to our knowledge and the overall value of the Forum.

When a member puts up a badge for comment they must expect to receive one or more responses. These may be overwhelmingly either positive or negative or a fairly even mixture and very rarely a ‘don’t know’. When detailed information is added by members it can only help to explain why an opinion has been given. A member can then choose to accept or reject the opinions and to keep or discard the badge, but this should not result in unnecessary adverse comments either within the thread or by private message.

The situation might be seen as slightly different when ‘unsolicited’ opinions are given on badges offered for sale. However, perhaps it should a given that conditions for sales on the Forum will attract opinions that may result in the need to withdraw an item.

We should also balance all of the above with our mantra of ‘never say never’ as there must always be some uncertainties!

Tim
Old 02-08-20, 12:16 PM

Luke. Just like to jump on the band wagon. I also greatly value others opinions on badges I put up on the forum. Some times you get an overwhelming response in the negative. Some times it’s mixed. And on a few happy occasions its overwhelming positive. As with most things in life I listen to what others have to say, this helps me to make an informed decision. Quite a few times I have not picked up on something on a badge even when comparing it against other badges shown on the forum. After comments I have gone back and checked again only to find it is now glaringly obvious. It’s not a happy thing when you are told your badge is a bad un. But I would hate to have a duff badge in my collection. Any badges that I even THINK may be ok ( despite what ever I am told ) I put in the grey area drawer until I am 100% positive it’s duff. So I would say to all members, If you have an opinion negative or positive please comment. Would like to add if negative could you please explain why. Happy hunting.
Regards
Chris
Old 02-08-20, 12:56 PM

Yes, Luke, please do not stop posting your opinions on badges. They are well valued by everyone, I believe.

CB
Old 02-08-20, 01:58 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Luke, I, for one, have always found your sound and sage advice to be absolutely invaluable. I hope you will continue to offer guidance on the forum.
Cheers
James
Old 02-08-20, 03:13 PM

Luke, I too value your opinion and that of everyone else. You all have taught me more than I can say, and I am extremely grateful for that help. There are some areas I feel confident in, and others that I do not. It is those areas where I do not that I most appreciate the help. Please stay with it!

Terry
Old 02-08-20, 06:24 PM

Smile Badges for consideration?

When I started this thread I had no idea as to how it would be received, like many of us I have a box of badges that have been deemed as fakes, some I would say fall into "grey area" which some people think of as fakes and others may have different ideas.

I would never sell on this forum or anywhere else badges that fall into the a "Grey area" as I have deemed these items. I have put badges up for sale in the past and when told members were not happy as to their authenticity I have removed them.

Luke's research on RND badges which was excellent and resulted in his apology to me on a thread as to one of my badges thought to be a fake, he has found out through research since that this was not the case.

So my advice is keep badges thought maybe as fakes to one side, some forum members are brilliant researchers, I am not one of those.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 04-08-20 at 07:21 AM.