British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-20, 12:05 PM

Default Military interlocking belt buckles

Good afternoon
I am an antique dealer in military items, I search all over the UK for military artifacts. Recently 3 styles of interlocking belt buckles came into my possession. I have tried the internet but no luck so far so they are

1. Brass belt buckle Royal Arms motto: DIEU ET MON DROIT around the outer, the centre has Lion astride crown, Style of crown isn't Kings or Queens.

2. Brass belt buckle circle design around the outer, the centre has a Lion astride a kings crown.

3. Brass belt buckle motto Nil desparandum Victoria Centre is a crown. I saw a thread here that indicates that it may be an Australian buckle. Can this be confirmed.

Hoping in advance Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6123.jpg (101.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6124.jpg (88.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.jpg (87.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 30-07-20, 02:15 PM

Mike

Are these very worn or badly cast? The detail seems blurry, behind the verdigris, and I'm wondering whether they may be Indo-Pakistani 'bazaar cast' copies.

If so, the middle one is likely, IMO, to be a fantasy piece. No idea about the other two, as both mottos are very popular with a number of British and Imperial/Commonwealth units.
Old 30-07-20, 05:19 PM

Thank you for your reply Peter, do you have links or online resources that I could cross reference.
Old 31-07-20, 06:37 AM

The first one doesnt look right. I think it could well be 2 separate halves.
The emblem reminds me of a railway insignia
Old 31-07-20, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The history detective View Post
Thank you for your reply Peter, do you have links or online resources that I could cross reference.
Here are a couple of examples of 'sand cast' badges - both to British regiments - which came out of India. As you can see, the quality of the castings is quite poor. These are still made to sell to tourists, and have been, I suspect, since at least WWII, when troops in India bought them as souvenirs.

The term usually applied is 'sand cast'.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ht=indian+made

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...6&d=1586774811

At the bottom is a site for an Indian firm which makes good badges, but the quality, as in everything else available in the free market, ranges from excellent to awful.

https://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/mil...lt-buckle.html

If you check in the 'Indian' section you will find discussions of such badges and in 'Fakes & Forgeries', as some are meant to defraud but many are simply poorly and quickly made and sold cheaply.

I hope this is some help. Sorry I don't have more info.

Peter
Old 31-07-20, 02:31 PM

The first two don't look like brass to me, more like coated steel, hence the rust. The first one has a coronet in the design, not a crown, the lion surmounts the coronet and is not astride it. The second one has a crown surmounted by a lion, not a lion astride a crown and the whole thing looks like a piece of old costume tat to my eyes. The third one looks to be Australian Militia and appears to have spent a long time in unfavourable storage conditions. In militaria circles these things are usually referred to as waistbelt clasps.
Old 01-08-20, 06:34 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Mike

Re buckle No 3, this is not like anything Ive ever seen here in Aussie.

In the colonial period in the state / colony of Victoria the various Militia regiments wore waist belt clasps of the same shape, however they are quite dis similar to the one that you show.

Whilst they have the Queen Vic Crown to the centre, the surround has one of 2 different mottoes, either Aut Pace Aut Bello Victoria or Pro Deo et Patria Victoria, this second one was introduced in 1893. The "snake" type clasp was also used, with and without the word Victoria and some regiments used a waist belt plate.

I have a white blankoed leather waist belt with the brass waist belt clasp and the Motto of Aut Pace Aut Bello Victoria. I also have an officers plain brown leather waist belt with sword slings and a white metal "Snake" clasp. I have had both of these belts from the early 1970's.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 01-08-20, 09:27 AM

Mike

I brought a variant of the third buckle from a Victorian militaria dealer about 10 years ago. At the time he advised that it was probable that the buckle was from the Hastings 40 Pounder Battery , (Victorian Rangers) that was formed in 1890 for the protection of Westernport.

The Battery’s guns were drawn by bullocks and its nickname was the “Bullock’s Battery”.

I have never been able to confirm the information as very few records or photographs of the unit exist.

Regards

Dennis

Last edited by Ironside410; 01-08-20 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-20, 12:52 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Dennis

There is a book on the Western Port battery, I think that its put out by the historical society at Hastings, I will see if I can chase down a copy and will let you know.

Take care

Phil.
Old 02-08-20, 12:29 AM

The "Bullock Battery" was the description I heard, but have never been able to confirm it.
Old 06-08-20, 02:53 PM

Default 3rd Belt buckle

Thank you for your replies Phil and Dennis I have seen several examples of the Victoria belt buckle. If there is any more information I would be grateful. Peter thank you for the links which I found very interesting indeed and they could very well be fantasy pieces.

Kind Regards
Mike

Tags
brass belt buckle, military buckle