British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-12, 11:56 PM

Default A strange survivor

Dear NZ collectors,

back in the 1980's I used to go to my church jumble sale in North London, every Sunday. I became a familiar figure. One day one of the old ladies there said that if I was interested she had her families 'military stuff'. She was about to 'go back to NZ for the last time', and would I, A) be interested in it and B) put some money in the charity box. Obviously, though a mere youngster, the answer to both was 'yes'. Hence I received a group of WW1 medals, a box of WW1 badges, a WW2 RAF cap badge (of which more later), a Tin of assorted badges (of which more later) a set of WW1 award certificates and finally a notebook.

The notebook fascinated me. A hard back book that would just about fit in a pocket. The story I was told was that her Father had joined the Army. He became a 'batman' and served an officer. Looking at the book I suspect it was illegal as it contained names, ranks, locations and pictures. I suspect some of it was filled in on the boat back to NZ, but some signatures could only have been acquired in theatre.

I attach some pictures, of some of the many pages, but I'm aware this should all be documented and I'll try to attach photos. Names of officers and staff in Brigade Headquarters, from Lt Col, through Capt, RSM, to 'Runner'. Some of you out there may have relatives/medals/badges involved.

I'd love to know some stories about the individuals mentioned, and I'm sure there are some out there. Over to you. I particularly love the pictures of 'Digger' and 'Appous an Shocolat' which are dated Nov 17, so the war still had a year to run...

I know I'm bad at following through with photos/stories, for which I apologise, but encourage me here. I'm happy for you to copy/circulate the pictures, not being a copyright lawyer, but just keep me informed if you find out anything about the individuals mentioned, or if you want more photos. Oh, and a final word, I'm so impressed at the standard of artwork and penmanship (calligraphy?) demonstrated by the soldiers, that I wonder where we went wrong. I'm just sorry that we'll not see their type again...

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2495.jpg (61.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2494.jpg (42.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2496.jpg (55.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2497.jpg (52.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2498.jpg (51.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2499.jpg (41.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2500.jpg (59.2 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by ianh67military; 23-07-12 at 12:02 AM.
Old 23-07-12, 12:10 AM

I attach a photo of the contents of 'the tin' she gave me. As you can see it contains the personal effects of an officer KIA. She was particularly touched by the 'cords' which he apparently wore round his hat. The badges are shown from the back, so markings can be seen.

Grateful for any info on the badges - 24(obviously an officers cap badge) - NZR (with a bullion pip embroidered directly onto the eppaulette) - NZRC - D/NZFAV

Ian H

Edit; The 24 badge, which I had assumed was an officers cap badge because of its size, 42mm wide, has a tiny STG SILVER on the back, under the bulldogs rear paws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2454.jpg (51.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2455.jpg (74.3 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by ianh67military; 23-07-12 at 08:12 AM.
Old 23-07-12, 02:44 AM

Hello Ian,

I marvelous little book ,with a lot of researchable names.I think the author may be one John Douglas Andrews ,from Papanui ,Christchurch.Service number 15/22.He sailed with the Main Body of the NZEF on 16/11/1914 and again on the 23/9/1916 with the 17th reinforcements.He gained a commission as a Second Lieutenant.His file should be online at NZ archives as well.

Now we can go through the names and find out more of those gentlemen if you so wish.

The silver 24th Reinforcement badge is a sweetheart badge.The D over NZFAV badge is not a common one,in fact i have never seen one .But it is attributed to the New Zealand Field Artillery Volunteers.The NZRC title stands for New Zealand Rifle clubs.

Regards Iain
Old 23-07-12, 02:57 AM

Hi Ian,
Thankyou for showing these relics which I'm sure you will look after.
In answer to your questions:
The 24th Reinforcement badge was made in both bronze and gilding metal and Other Ranks wore both types.
The straight NZR (New Zealand Rifles) title is of the Volunteer period before the First World War. The usual WW1 NZR title is curved.
The NZRC (New Zealand Rifle Clubs) title is not strictly military but was worn prior to the War.
The D/NZFAV titles, according to Geoff Oldham's most recent catalogue are Dover New Zealand Field Artillery Volunteers. Just why it should be Dover, I have no idea, maybe it should be Driver.
The Princess Mary's Gift Box was not given to New Zealand troops unless, of course, they were serving in the British Army at the time.
Thanks again,
Tinto

PS I now believe "Dover" above is meant to be D over New Zealand Field Artillery Volunteers. D could stand for D Company?

Last edited by Tinto; 25-07-12 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Correction of typo
Old 23-07-12, 07:18 AM

Wow, thanks for the rapid replies. I attach a photo of the box of badges. It contains collar dogs, shoulder titles and buttons, together with a 'NZ RETURNED SOLDIERS ASSOCIATION' silver lapel badge. The number in the middle appears to be 26/17. Most of the black horn buttons are marked NZRB with a bugle, but some (replacements?) only have the bugle. The little silver badge at the bottom has 'PIETAS PROBITAS ET SAPIENTIA 1857' and may not be military, but had some personal relevance because it was kept with his badges. The brass button with 20 appears to be a QVC and the EDVARDUS VI DG button also seems earlier.

Grateful for any more info.

Ian H

Edit: From reading some of the other threads on the NZRB on this forum, it appears the original issue of buttons did NOT have the NZRB. The NZRB were actually the 2nd pattern button.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2501.jpg (51.4 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by ianh67military; 25-07-12 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Info on buttons
Old 23-07-12, 07:38 AM

If your RSA badge is in fact marked 26/17 then it would belong to Captain Kendall Reginal James Von Tunzelmann Saxon,who was awarded the Military Cross and bar.From Nelson.His file is online at Archives New Zealand,Archway search engine,if any one wants to take a look.

The Latin motto is for Nelson Colledge etablished in 1857,which Mr Saxon may have attended or have been a teacher,which was his occupation before the war.He also may have attended Cambridge University post war.A hero and a scholar!!!

New Zealanders used the Black bakelite Rifle Brigade buttons both marked with NZ RB and the British equivalent marked only RB (Rifle Brigade).

Last edited by pukman; 23-07-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 23-07-12, 08:35 AM

I knew the interweb was good, but this is VERY impressive. I'd love to know how one lady ended up with such differing items. I'm sure she was a 'Saxon' as well, but that's a damm fine Germanic middle name, and to win an MC and bar! I'll have to try and track down the medals and paperwork I've got, but after 3 house moves and 2 now teenage boys that's easier said than done.

Ian H