British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-09-12, 09:31 AM

Default 19 Light Brigade

Comd 19 Lt Bde was interviewed on BBC Radio 4 this morning on the eve of the Brigade's disbandment - for the fourth time, he said.

As far as I know there was no 19 Inf Bde in the Second World War, but I have a note that it was "recently raised" as at 1 Apr 51 (date of re- formation of 3 Inf Div, to which it belonged). From UK to Libya Oct 51 and to Egypt Nov 51.

I think that the sign was adopted when the Brigade left 3 Inf Div and became Independent. The scarlet triangle probably reflects the fact that it was an Infantry Brigade of three battalions. The reasons for the adoption of the aggressive panther is not known. The sign was allegedly designed by 19 Inf Bde's DAA&QMG and was soon christened the "scalded cat" by its wearers. It was later worn by the short-lived 7 Fd Force.
19 Inf Bde.01.jpg
Old 27-09-12, 01:43 PM

To continue, here are a few of the more recent incarnations of the Brigade badge. Affectionatly know as Jurassic Park and later the Puking Panther.

19th Mechanised Brigade;
Colour (yellow), woven circa July 1993.
Colour (red), woven circa September 1997.
Colour (red), printed circa September 1998.
Subdued, (green) embroidered circa April 2002, now found in various colours and methods of construction. Plus a square one with the letters BRF, Brigade Reconnaissance Force.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 27-09-12, 02:05 PM

For the record - and I was present at the time - the officers and WOs of 1 Green Howards asked the DCOS HQ Land Command to intervene and permit the Battalion to cease wearing the so-called Jurassic Park Sticker! It was greatly disliked within the Battalion. I don't know what the outcome was, but believe that design was binned as soon as the Bde Comd who had it introduced had moved on. This was given to me a couple of days later:
1 Green Howards 1993.jpg
Old 28-09-12, 04:01 PM

Default 19 Light Bde

I was on the disbandment parade yesterday. The order of service outlined its many forms, here's an abridged version:
Raised as a militia bde in 1892 and reorganised as a regular Bde in 1900 for the South African War, disbanded 1901.
Reformed in 1914, disbanded 1919.
Raised briefly in 1938 for duties in Palestine, disbanded 1939 apparently to avoid confusion with an Indian Bde with the same number.
Reformed 1950 renamed in 1978 to 7 Field Force.
Reverted in 1982 to 19 Infantry Bde.
Retitled 1992 to 19 Mechanised Bde.
Reroled in 2005 to 19 Light Bde.

In 1957, Major Fursdon RE designed the insignia based on the triangle of 3rd Inf Div and a black panther symbolising alertness, based on Kipling's Bageera. We've always called the "puking panther" and was sad to wear for the last time today. I wear the chain mail gauntlet next week when we join 20 Bde, lads are already calling it the wnaking fist!
Old 24-04-13, 03:56 PM

I recently picked up a woodland pattern dpm shirt with the Union Jack and 19th badges on one sleeve but a noticeable missing badge on the other. You could see it was square in shape.
Would anyone have an idea what would have been there?
thank you
Old 27-04-13, 02:55 PM

The left sleeve carries the Union Flag and formation insignia, in this case 19X, the right sleeve carries the tactical recognition flash (TRF) of the regiment of the owner. If it was rectangular I would guess at RE or Scots?