British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-18, 01:03 AM

Default Edmonton Regiment finds

Found a great pair of Edmonton Regt titles and a cap badge. According to an article in the Loyal Edmonton Regt's journal "The Forty-Niner", this variation is attributed to the 2nd battalion in Canada from 1941-43. The cap badge appears to have a backing made from a canvas 1st Cdn Div formation patch. Oddly enough, even though I live in Edmonton, Edmonton Regt. items don't seem to appear in the local shops very often so I was quite pleased with this find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1917.jpg (97.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1918.jpg (101.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 20-08-18, 12:03 AM

Great titles. Not often seen.
Old 20-08-18, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, Can you post the attribution? Is the article recent? 2nd (Reserve) Battalions were not to wear coloured embroidered titles and were to wear the worsted slip-ons. And there was a lot of correspondence in LAC files about the issue of reserve Bn's requesting titles and being refused.
Old 13-09-18, 11:09 PM

Very nice
Old 15-09-18, 03:30 AM

"The Fortyniner" Issue No. 110 September 2011. The article was written by Captain Darby Whitebone. According to the article, the slip-on titles were worn for a few years by the 2nd Battalion and then were replaced by colored shoulder titles. I can go to the museum and do some research of my own.

Last edited by Infanteer; 15-09-18 at 03:36 AM.
Old 15-09-18, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

It would be good to see some supporting evidence for that. Some reserve battalions did wear coloured titles, contrary to edicts. (Edicts repeated, and repeated again.)
Old 27-09-18, 10:49 PM

Well Bill, I spent a bit of time at the LER museum today and spoke with a knowledgeable collector/volunteer and we were unable to find anything so far to support the claim that the 2nd battalion wore colored shoulder titles during the war. I did see some photos of the 2nd Bn at summer camp in 1940 wearing interesting combinations of wool and KD battle dress with metal shoulder titles and/or collar badges which wasn't supposed to happen as far I understand. None of the photos I found of the 2nd Bn showed the use of the slip-on titles either. More research needs to be done.
Old 28-09-18, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Steve. This is one of the issues with collecting. When something is put out, it becomes a "fact" over time. But, there isn't anything to substantiate the theory.
The slip-ons were not issued until the late spring or summer of 1940, and then it took time for all units to get theirs. A further complication. The worsted slip-ons were initially only issued to the active service battalions, but not those overseas. So the 2nd Bn Edmonton Regt would not have slip-ons until circa 1942, when the wearing of such was relegated to the reserve battalions. This corroborates what you saw.