British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-19, 10:06 AM

Question Unknown Soldier

My relation who owns this photo has given me permission to post it in the forum.
It was originally owned by her grandmother but the soldier is unknown.... maybe a beau?
Sorry about the poor quality of the photograph.
She'd be pleased to have any advice about the distinctive cap badge and uniform, rank, medals, regiment and period.
Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0052.jpg (24.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 31-03-19, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hello ansellmw, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 31-03-19, 01:06 PM

Grenadier Guards. Egypt campaign medals.
Andy
Old 31-03-19, 01:46 PM

Question

Andy,
I assume that's the Egyptian Campaign of 1882?
Following your advice I've found a photo on the "Royal Collection Trust" website entitled "Four Soldiers From The Grenadier Guards Who Served In The Anglo Egyptian War c 1882" who are wearing the same uniform ... so many thanks!
One difference though is that none of the medals they wear are star shaped. Do you know if such a medal was given during that Egyptian campaign?
Also is it possible to tell the rank of the soldier from the collar badges (or anything else)? I assumed the diamond shaped object on the collar signified an officer - but probably not - and I don't know what the round object is on the collar.
Old 31-03-19, 02:49 PM

The 'Star' shaped medal would be The Khedive's star. The first medal would probably be the Egypt medal, but it is difficult to see the hangar to be sure - additionally this medal has a white and blue striped ribbon, again unclear. Cant see if either have any additional clasps.

Regards all

Bess
Old 31-03-19, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansellmw View Post
Andy,
I assume that's the Egyptian Campaign of 1882?
Following your advice I've found a photo on the "Royal Collection Trust" website entitled "Four Soldiers From The Grenadier Guards Who Served In The Anglo Egyptian War c 1882" who are wearing the same uniform ... so many thanks!
One difference though is that none of the medals they wear are star shaped. Do you know if such a medal was given during that Egyptian campaign?
Also is it possible to tell the rank of the soldier from the collar badges (or anything else)? I assumed the diamond shaped object on the collar signified an officer - but probably not - and I don't know what the round object is on the collar.
The collar has the Grenade on it, i believe the diamond you mention is actually the flame part of the grenade.
Andy
Old 31-03-19, 04:57 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Tags
cap badge, medals, pips, uniform