British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-10, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0338 View Post

Maybe somebody can also identify the formation sign of the mailed fist holding the dagger, I got it in Malaysia in the mid 60s, so must have come from somebody I met there I think, but cannot remember who it was or even how I came to have it.
It looks to me like a bazaar made gold wire example of the formation sign of 19th Indian Division, which was a part of 14th Arny in Burma.

It is supposed to be a yellow dagger on red.

Maybe you got it from a soldier who made a career in the army, and gave you his WW2 badge in the 1960s?
Old 25-03-10, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
It looks to me like a bazaar made gold wire example of the formation sign of 19th Indian Division, which was a part of 14th Arny in Burma.

It is supposed to be a yellow dagger on red.

Maybe you got it from a soldier who made a career in the army, and gave you his WW2 badge in the 1960s?
Looks like I have now found the source of my formation sign with the dagger in the mailed fist, gold wire on red background, the uncle of my wife was a member of the Border Regiment from late 1920s till he retired after WW2 and came to Australia. We have his medals, and he probably gave me the formation sign, and it likely that it was a bazaar made one, the gold wire certainly would have not been a cheap addition to his uniform. BWEF is probably correct in saying he may have given it to me in the 60s, my wife was his favourite niece, and he loved to talk to me about Army. Now all I need is for somebody to identify the badge worn on the cap of my Dad
Old 22-04-10, 06:31 AM

Default Not another Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi,
Badge has the look of 1st (Royal) Dragoons (Lion on crown on scroll).
Tinto
Thanks to Tinto who gave me the first clue to the badge on the hat of my Dad as being that of the 1st (Royal)Dragoons. After lots of hours of searching, lots of heartache and being convinced that I would never ever find out what the badge was, yesterday I was given a copy of the Attestation Papers for my father, and I realised I should have paid more attention when I was a young fellow, the attestation papers show he was enlisted into the 1st (Royal) Dragoons on 2nd March 1920, and not mid 1920s as I always thought. He had left the navy on 19th December 1919, and when he joined the Army he put his age as 17 years and 7 months, when in fact, according to his birth certificate which we have, he would have been 16 years and 7 months at the time of his enlistment. Thanks again Tinto for the first clue.
Old 22-04-10, 06:35 AM

Default And yet another Austrtalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Hi,
The formation sign of a raised dagger and forearm looks like that of the 19th Indian Division. According to Howard Cole's book it should be a yellow dagger on a red background.

Regards, Stephen.
thanks for the info on the formation sign badjez - once we knew what it was, and after talking to people at the Burma Star Association, we realised it came to my wife with the medals of her uncle who served in the Border Regiment, was awarded the Burma Star, so must have been a member of the 9th Bn The Border Regt, which was part of one of the brigades of the 19th Indian Div in Burma, so we offered it to the Burma Star Association, they have very few members left and have given all their memorabilia away, so we will keep it with her uncles medals to leave for our kids
Old 22-04-10, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi Brian,

here are your images that you sent to me via email,
I have enlarged them slightly.

The silver rifle (royal artillery) and London Scottish are sweetheart broaches.

I'm clueless regarding the cloth item.

identifying the cap badge on the soldier in the photo is not possible as enlarging makes it grainy, so we need a higher resolution scan to be in with a chance.

Thanks to Mike and his clue that about the two small badges being Sweetheart Badges, the Secretary of the London Scottish Association has just advised me that the most recent sale of their sweetheart badge, toirtose shell with sterling silver surround sold for 95 British pounds and we found the same of the Artillery Sweetheart badge, gold and sterling silver that sold for $80 Australian cos i met an ex Aust gunner who bought it, he got it from a dealer in Canada of all places, and got it for his wife to wear to RAA reunions on her jacket or when he wears his medals to various things, he said he had been searching for one of this type for years, had only seen them when he was in Malays and a wife of a 45 Regt bloke was wearing one.
Old 22-04-10, 05:35 PM

Hi Brian,
I'm pleased that you have found confirmation that your father was in the 1st (Royal) Dragoons.
If you haven't done so already, you have the stickability to research your family tree. A word of warning, genealogy can become addictive, just like badge collecting!
Cheers, Tinto
Old 22-04-10, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

If you want anything looked up then let me know as I have done lots of my family and am quite proficient! (it is addictive)
Old 23-04-10, 06:31 AM

Default And Yet another Australian

Thanks to Alan and to Tinto.

for the last 40 years I have been helping my wife do research in to her family tree, I have the family tree of my Mum back to the early 1700s, but as the mother of my Dad was not really sure who her father was, and her mother seems to have had a few different "husbands" (seems like things never change, and we all thought this was a phenomenon of our modern times and the pill) so we cant get it clear as to who her parents really were, and I realise that doing family history can be more addictive than collecting badges, I have spent most of the last week entering details on the computer for my wife, as she has at last decided to get rid of all those bits of paper she has accumulated over the years, and while doing that for her, got a family member of mine who gave me all the details of the service of my Dad with 1st (Royal) Dragoons. it does appear, as the badge was so hard to identify, that the angle of his head had distorted the shape of the badge, but the hard copy of his attestation page does not lie (except his statement about his age) and thanks again for all the help given me on this site you can never know how much it has been appreciated.