British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-18, 10:49 PM

Default Tank Corp cap badge dates used?

Hello all,
Today I found a Tank Corps cap badge while metal detecting in a field near Bristol. It’s my first military cap badge and is intact so I’m chuffed to bits and trying to find out more about it, particularly what period it would have been used.

To describe it (sorry no pics at the moment), it has an old WW1 tank at the centre facing right, with TANK above and CORPS below, and a crown at the top. It has a slider on the back, which is attached behind the word TANK. It’s made of some kind of copper alloy so not an officer badge I assume.

My research has been a bit confusing! Tank Corps formed 1917 I think, but I’ve also found suggestions that the insignia was not created until early 1920’s?

Can someone give the definitive word on when this kind of cap badge was in use?

Many thanks
Z
Old 11-12-18, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Z, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Some members will be able to answer your questions.
Old 11-12-18, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

The Tank Corps badge was introduced in 1917 but not actually issued for other ranks until 1918. It remained in use until 1924 when the Royal Tank Corps badge with the Fear Naught scroll was introduced.

It was briefly worn by some Tank Corps affiliated Yeomanry units 1920-24 as well.
Old 11-12-18, 10:12 AM

Thank you very much Alan, that's extremely helpful
Z

Tags
cap badge, date, tank corps