British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-11, 11:36 PM

Default New Member

Hello to everybody, just joined the site, I am not a collector and being 70 years old I think it is a bit late to start, but have found the forum very interesting
Cheers PIPPIN
Old 01-11-11, 12:35 AM

A warm welcome Pippin.

It's never too late.

REgards
Brian
Old 01-11-11, 09:36 AM

Welcome, at 70 you can join the junior members section along with me!!!!

Bob.
Old 01-11-11, 09:37 AM
Peter J

Smile

Welcome aboard, Pippin.

You may not be a collector yet, but joining this forum is another fine mess you've gotten yourself into! (Love the avatar).

All the best,

Peter.
Old 01-11-11, 04:19 PM

Welcome Pippin

all the best

Keith
Old 06-11-11, 04:20 PM

A warm welcome to the forum Pippin! What is you area of interest?

Cheers
JB
Old 16-11-11, 08:23 PM

JB Thank you for the warm welcome, I am not a collector of badges but came across this sight while looking for info on "The Old Contemptibles", and i have found the forum very interesting.
Cheers PIPPIN
Old 17-11-11, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPPIN View Post
JB Thank you for the warm welcome, I am not a collector of badges but came across this sight while looking for info on "The Old Contemptibles", and i have found the forum very interesting.
Cheers PIPPIN
What info are you looking for on the old Contemptibles

My wifes great granddad was The youngest record age of any member of the BEF in France in 1914(the"Old Contemptible s") is that of Denis Robert Kearns (b 15 Feb 1900) He went into the RMLI aged 14years 3 days and disembarked in france on 26th Aug 1914 aged 14 years 194 days, and was taken prisoner of war in October 13 1914.

regards

Keith
Old 03-12-11, 05:59 AM

Hi Pippin,
I too stumbled across this site as I was searching for information on family awards & badges.
You will really enjoy it here!!

Hi Keith,
Wow, what great information. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Matt
Old 11-12-11, 05:52 PM

Keith, I apologise for the delay in replying back to you, my father’s stepfather was one of the Old Contemptibles and I have been trying to find out something about his Army service, the problem I do not know his Army number or what regiment he was in.
There were some medals of his that I seen but that was many years ago, at the time I had no interest in family history, and over the years they have got lost within the families.
When my father died 19 years ago age 80, I found a photo in his possessions of a group of men with medals standing to attention, I had no idea why he had this photo or who they where but I kept the photo.
About eight years later my Aunty who is now coming up to 102 showed me some old photos and one of them was a photo of a group of men with medals, I asked her why she had the photo, and she told me her stepfather was one of them, this explained why my father had a similar photo, but she did not know where the photo was taken too.

When I showed her my photo she pointed out her stepfather, I later found out that the photos were taken outside the Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute Pembroke Terrace Cardiff. (That later changed its name to Churchill Way)

His name was Henry William Wicks born Cardiff 19 October 1883 died Llandough Hospital Cardiff 13 December 1948. (He was also known has Harry Weeks) I have his Birth and Death certificates
I did not know how to insert images into this message so I have posted in a album three photos, one of Henry, I think in a uniform and two outside the Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute, I have marked Henry with a X, can you or anybody suggest some idea how I can find out any information about his Army service, with the little information I have.
Cheers Pippin