British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-10-11, 06:56 PM

Default RAF Wing evaluation

Greetings everyone. A while back on the forum some of you may recall a thread started by keflin2612 on an unusual RAF wing. Some didn't like it, others did. I expressed my admiration of the badge, but also my desire to evaluate it in person to be sure. After a few arrangements, and a great leap of faith by Kev (because he didn't have to enter this arrangement at all, but did find the trust in me to do so.) the wings were mailed to me and I can now present you with the evaluation.

The wings are stitched on a ribbed black silk, and as you can see from the backing were cut out very crudely and then sewn over the centre reinforcement. The best I can tell from small splits in the silk under the wearer's lower left wingtip the wing has been "sewn around" a hessian/jute centre. The only way to be sure would be to pull the folded backing out from behind the stitching which I'm not going to even attempt! (as the wing is not mine lol). The wings themselves seem to be embroidered in a standard oatmeal thread of a lower quality than usually seen on tailor made wings. Based solely on the construction and the threads in the wing, I'm in favour of it being original. Definitely not made by a Canadian or British Tailor. What theatre it was made in is anybody's guess. I have a theory, because of the shape, that it was possibly fashioned in the south pacific, from a similar example of RAAF pilot wing.....but that's only theory.

The saddest part about this wing is that I have to mail it back.....it's a true beauty. Congrats to Kev for his great find though! I hope this evaluation entitles me to be entered into his will for this wing.

See pictures below and also for the second wing that was sent to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (29.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0294.jpg (60.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 25-10-11, 06:57 PM

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0295.jpg (34.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0296.jpg (92.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 25-10-11, 07:06 PM

Part 2:

Kev also sent me a pair of RCF wings to evaluate.....didn't take me long as unfortunately to say (sorry Kev!) I'm not very impressed with them. My gut instinct says no based solely on condition, the black felt backing, and the smoothness/lack of definition in the feathers.....perhaps if it is good someone else can chime in, but I wouldn't pay money for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0297.jpg (38.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0298.jpg (61.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0300.jpg (36.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 25-10-11, 07:19 PM

Default unusual RAF wings

The backing material on the wings looks like the facings from a Gents dinner jacket, Nice find.
Old 26-10-11, 08:13 AM

Hi all,
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a "BIG" thanks to Mike for all his help and for taking the time, putting his experienced eye over the wings I sent him, I am Very Pleased with the findings of the RAF wings but a bit gutted with the RFC one especially as I paid £80.00 for them but I guess some you win, some you loose especially when your just starting out on your collecting.
I would also like to say to Mike, there was no great leap of faith for me to send the wings, I may not be very good yet at picking genuine wings but when it comes to picking people I feel I can trust I class myself as a bit of an Expert, so thanks again Mike, and please carry on helping people with your knowledge because without people like you and all the other guys who help on this forum, there would be know forum.
Kev.