British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-12, 11:17 PM

Default SS commando patch.

Hi Guys,can anyone tell me how much i would expect tp pay for an original SS commando patch.This would be the black wool patch with an S on either side of a commando dagger done in white cotton thread.I know originals are quite rare so i would think quite expensive but i havn't actually seen one for sale.
Thanks,Steve.
Old 07-02-12, 06:28 AM

Hi Steve,

can you post a pic? Note that normally are bullion on black, curious how yours looks like.

The bullion should be between 300/400 pounds.

JB
Old 08-02-12, 11:16 AM

As JB says, it would be nice to see a picture!

There was supposed to be an other ranks version embroidered with white silks as opposed to silver bullion, but I have never seen an original. Repros are worth about a fiver so you need to be 100% sure before parting with your cash!

Paul
Old 08-02-12, 10:41 PM

Default SS commando.

The patch i have seen i think is original but is not actually for sale at this time.It appears unused and has the white coarse backing you see on some other commando patches and the stitching probably is silk.It came from a house clearance and was with a metal commemerative badge made by a french jeweler and dated 1946.I will try and get pics from the owner and post ASAP but it may take a little time to locate him.
Steve.
Old 08-02-12, 11:36 PM

Hi Steve,

Not sure if it's of much help or not but here is a link to an image of super and totally original example I sold some time back.

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com..._02_12_10.html

Looking forward to the pictures, all the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 09-02-12, 05:30 AM

Steve,

Click on the All Albums tab above, and search for Ian Adams' album titled "Variety of Special Forces Badges". Among several lovely badges there, I believe you'll find an example of the 2 Commando badge.

Regards, Donovan
Old 09-02-12, 05:10 PM

Hi Roy,Thanks for your pic, it is very similar but not the same as it is in bullion and not white silk.
Donovan,thanks for your album info [Variety of special forces badges].When i clicked up the site it actually shows the badge in question.[no7].although it doesn't show the back i'm sure it is the exact same badge.Can anyone tell me roughly what i would have to pay for that particular badge.The metal commemorative badge made by the jeweler is a different matter and i will try and get some pics to list later.
Thanks,Steve.
Old 15-02-12, 05:00 PM

Default S S Commando

Hi Guys,here are pics of the patch and badge.I have not shown rear of patch as i have been told it could be used to make copies.
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 011.jpg (51.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 15-02-12, 05:01 PM

Default S S Commando.

Pic of the rear of badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 012.jpg (58.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 15-02-12, 05:04 PM

Default S S Commando

PIc of the rear showing maker mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS Fairbairn 013.jpg (47.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 15-02-12, 05:53 PM

I will be keen to hear more about these Badges Steve. I saw them both at the last Bedford Arms Fair, but felt the price was a bit too steep. The Metal badge is of course a Commemorative and I asked the dealer if he would sell the cloth No 2 Commando Badge separately. He told me he would not as they came together. It certainly was interesting and hope it is all as it should be. Regards, Clive.
Old 15-02-12, 06:30 PM

The dealer’s obviously a cheeky monkey as 2 Cdo were neither in the 1st Special Service Brigade or in Nomandy!!

I can honestly say I have never seen a ‘proven’ genuine non bullion 2 Cdo patch so can’t really say whether it's real or not (especially without seeing the back). The only thing I will say is that if you browse the 2 Cdo galleries on the CVA website all the sleeve badges look to be pictorially the same and with the same type face as the bullion patch, which in my opinion don’t look like this one or the one previously mentioned in the gallery. But just because I haven’t seen one doesn’t mean it didn’t exist!!

Can’t wait to try and find a definitive answer!!

Good luck
Paul
Old 15-02-12, 08:01 PM

Looks like it is ex "geogeodude" made piece

Do not like that at all
Old 15-02-12, 08:05 PM

mmm I do not like it either also not the same as in Ian Adams album, my advice stay clear

JB
Old 16-02-12, 10:14 AM

I should have added that when I asked the dealer about the patch he told me that it was a "locally" made piece in Scotland. As with all such things buying the item and not the story usually is sensible. Had the price have been more favorable I would have had the proverbial punt. The construction was interesting and I think a view of the back would be of interest, hopefully Steve will post it. Regards, Clive.