British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-12, 03:36 PM

Default Post war SAS group

I just picked this small lot up today, the main reason i bought it is because it struck me when i saw the chap has the same surname as mine !
I am not that good at dating SAS beret badges so i wondered if anyone could assist dating the beret badge and title. A letter came with it which has a postal stamp for 1977 so i assume they are all from around this era ?
I also apologies for blotting out the address, i did it as a quick google search says he is still living at the same address. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Stuart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALIM6103.jpg (70.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6107.jpg (71.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6109.jpg (81.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6110.jpg (70.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6115.jpg (90.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6116.jpg (104.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6117.jpg (79.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6119.jpg (98.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6120.jpg (97.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ALIM6122.jpg (97.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SAS group 001.jpg (22.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SAS groupk.jpg (44.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-02-12, 05:14 PM

Default Yes

Hi,
I believe you have a nice grouping from the 70's there.
Regards,Ivan
Old 07-02-12, 06:50 PM

Default Group

Hi Stuart,

To be honest, I wonder what group we are actually looking at here. This is hardly a group worn by one man, more like a small collection of items owned by him. Was he a policeman who collected military badges and wrote to different units with requests for badges or berets? The 'with compliment' cards seem to suggest this, although I don't expect the SAS would send out berets on request.

The SAS beret and beret badge are seventies or eighties.

Cheers,

Johan

Last edited by johanwiegman; 07-02-12 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 08:48 PM

Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwiegman View Post
Hi Stuart,

To be honest, I wonder what group we are actually looking at here. This is hardly a group worn by one man, more like a small collection of items owned by him. Was he a policeman who collected military badges and wrote to different units with requests for badges or berets? The 'with compliment' cards seem to suggest this, although I don't expect the SAS would send out berets on request.

Cheers,

Johan
I agree with your scepticism,the Para badge is WW2 type but I'm convinced its ok from the pics. Could he have been Para Reg then SAS,upon retirement becoming a Special Constable,I know someone very well who was such but joined the regular Police. The SAS compliments slips are unusual as I agree that they would not send such things as "gifts".
I would write to him and find out what the story is,you might get a reply and you can fill us in.
Beret (SAS) is definately 70's
Regards,Ivan
Old 07-02-12, 09:03 PM

Default Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by grip View Post
I agree with your scepticism,the Para badge is WW2 type but I'm convinced its ok from the pics. Could he have been Para Reg then SAS,upon retirement becoming a Special Constable,I know someone very well who was such but joined the regular Police. The SAS compliments slips are unusual as I agree that they would not send such things as "gifts".
I would write to him and find out what the story is,you might get a reply and you can fill us in.
Beret (SAS) is definately 70's
Regards,Ivan
Hi Ivan,

The Parachute Regiment beret badge KC is indeed older, as is the SAS title. All three berets look brand new and unworn to me.

A soldier turned Special Constable: possible, but somehow then group is inconsistent. I think writing to the previous owner is a good idea!

I think he is a collector.

Cheers,

Johan
Old 08-02-12, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwiegman View Post
Hi Stuart,

Cheers,

Johan
I know someone who used to do that
Got a reply from some bloke called DARE..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sas letter.jpg (33.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-02-12, 05:35 PM

Default Surprised

Well I am surprised,but it just goes to show that you get nothing if you don't ask!
Regards,Ivan
Old 08-02-12, 07:04 PM

The letter from Dare Newell is undoubtedly genuine. And there is a rare image of him in PdlB's autobiography.
Old 08-02-12, 08:28 PM

Default Dare Newell

Friends,

This is (part of) the picture mentioned by Mike. Major Dare Newell wearing battledress, Special Air Service titles and 1949 pattern parachute wings.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00130a.jpg (75.3 KB, 37 views)