British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-20, 07:41 AM

Default Slovenian Fakes? 2014_iojk

I'm looking at a Slovene seller who seems to be flogging a whole bunch of big fat fake CEF badges. They are quite good, not garbage like that chap sylvana39 (then sunshine something) from Nuneaton was selling a few years ago but when you look at these they ALL have identically formed lugs on them and pretty much none of them have maker's marks on the backs when we all know nearly all CEF stuff does. 2nd opinions?

The eBay seller name is 2014_iojk and here's an example.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WW1-CANADIAN...0AAOSwePReLyt9
Old 02-02-20, 07:51 PM

Same bloke you was in Greece etc.
Old 02-02-20, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey VC View Post
I'm looking at a Slovene seller who seems to be flogging a whole bunch of big fat fake CEF badges. They are quite good, not garbage like that chap sylvana39 (then sunshine something) from Nuneaton was selling a few years ago but when you look at these they ALL have identically formed lugs on them and pretty much none of them have maker's marks on the backs when we all know nearly all CEF stuff does. 2nd opinions?

The eBay seller name is 2014_iojk and here's an example.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WW1-CANADIAN...0AAOSwePReLyt9
The listing that you have linked to does appear to have a maker's mark. Ellis Bros Toronto.
Old 03-02-20, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
The listing that you have linked to does appear to have a maker's mark. Ellis Bros Toronto.
Yup, I see that and one other had a Dingwall Winnipeg on it but they still look fugazzi to me. I'm just saying. (and also soliciting opinions.)
Old 03-02-20, 02:38 AM

Sock Monkey, VC. This has made me REALLY smile. I thought my Tommy Catkins avatar was good (see Louis Wain, a true genius of his age) but yours is one better!

Thanks for a "lift" to my day!
Old 03-02-20, 02:43 AM

Hi

Not a real badge "guru" but there are some "blobs" on that badge that are just plain "wrong".

Have a look at the "line" to the right that looks like a crack and the cross stroke of the "2" has an odd "blob" that seems hard to explain...
Old 03-02-20, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

Not a real badge "guru" but there are some "blobs" on that badge that are just plain "wrong".

Have a look at the "line" to the right that looks like a crack and the cross stroke of the "2" has an odd "blob" that seems hard to explain...
I agree. Again, I come back to those lugs that are all identical. If you collect CEF badges, lay 20 face down and see if all the lugs are identical in width, roundness, etc. These are all just too good plus, the soldering is a teeny bit blobby.

So DumDum, would that be after the entertainment troupe that entertained the lads during the great war?
Old 04-02-20, 02:19 AM

Hi Sock Monkey,

Thanks so much for your message.

The idea was linked to it but I had been thinking of the Indian arsenal of the same name.

I will, however, take the credit for your suggestion!

Now wondering if "Tommy Catkins" wouldn't be better as this was the title of Louis Wain's cartoon that features in my avatar........

Wain, a true genius and a great artist but a shocking businessman!
Old 04-02-20, 06:16 AM

So I'm guessing that the Dumdum arsenal (and I never knew there was such a place) pioneered dumdum bullets? Wain was a talent, that's for sure.
Old 07-02-20, 02:26 AM

Hi Sock Monkey

Thanks for that. I think that might have been the origin but am not too sure. I suspect that given the large number of "rankers" and others who were old India hands you wonder if this wasn't an extension of their "patois".

"Bundook" to many was their rifle, "charpoy" (sp?) their bed.....

Thanks again for the daily smile when I see your avatar and so glad that you like Louis Wain too!