British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-20, 06:44 PM

Default History Hunters on Yesterday channel

Evening all.

I know starting a medal thread but did anyone watch the programme last night about these "experts".

Basically someone was selling 1500 medals for which they put in a bid of £6000 (and were gutted when they didn't win, so wanted to pay £4 a medal).

When the seller gave them the first few boxes there were a few death plaques so if the medals were there (probably were) then looking at minimum £100 (sky the limit once knowing where the poor soldier was killed and what regiment).

Then he gave them two further boxes ("keeping the good to last") what I could see with a quick view Artic Medal, Crimea medal, India General Service, IY long service and they were on the top so god knows what was below them and they want to offer £4 a medal (easily over a grand or two just for those four).

No wonder they were outbid as some other dealer probably did the right thing and offer a good price.

Hope they have good internet connection as without it they would be buggered.

That saying would recommend watching it as to hear what baloney they come out with.

Also last week had an Albert Medal that a collector had for years and wanted £14k, they may want to look at DNW 2017 where it was sold, they didn't use the internet on that.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 08-04-20, 08:31 PM

Same as most dealers, want something for nothing. Only to sell to us collectors for mega bucks. Pair of twats if you ask me, heads well and truly wedged up each others arse's.....
Andy
Old 08-04-20, 09:30 PM

Yes, 6000 was a joke, but l enjoy the programme.
Old 08-04-20, 10:22 PM

Know nothing about Medals but like yourselves worked out what per medal was, and not truly shocked to learn they didn't win I would of at least offered £5.00 and That's cutting me own throat at that rate!!!
Old 08-04-20, 10:56 PM

And this is what is known as “reality” tv !!!!!!!!!!!

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-04-20, 11:18 PM

Default history hunters

Just had similar discussion on the medal forum - the lot contained ww1 casualties and victorian medals. Some were said to be copies but vast majority were good. The dealers were gutted they didn't get them for £4 each ! Bandits - makes dealers out to be thieves...The tv advertising is paying off for them though, a lot of their stock appears to be selling well.

Be safe,

Mark
Old 08-04-20, 11:42 PM

They sound unscrupulous, greedy and their bid an attempt at daylight robbery in a legal but immoral format. I do not wish them luck if that is their mantra and scale of their mark ups.
Old 09-04-20, 06:38 AM

Morning all.

Carrying on the feed as Mark pointed out they said that there were copies in there which they were quick to point out (as previously said they didn’t comment on the quality stuff) and showed four Air Crew Europe stars (probably most copied WW2 medal as cost north of £150 each on there own) which even as copies would cost way over £4.

Also loved it when they made a big thing out of them being named as if it was special and unique (I know it would have for those who they were award to).

Back to miiltaria now, they did buy three swagger sticks and again showed what “experts” they are when one of them said that they (indicating or bigging them up) carried by an RSM (must have been a lot of RSM’s in each regiment, fools !!!).

Got to say the old boy buying that Sam Browne belt got a good deal as maker named and flap over pistol holster which was a fairly unique item.

Back to medals don’t start me on the Waterloo medals, spouted so much crap and mugged someone for £15k.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 09-04-20, 08:57 AM

Default Yesterday

I am surprised they havn't started making a reality show about fake militaria, this could go on for several series possibly rivaling "The Archers" for the record.

Rob
Old 09-04-20, 08:57 AM

Default history hunters

I must admit, some items on their website aren't bad price wise. I was tempted to purchase 1 item but then thought do I really want to give my hard earned to such a couple of A holes ? No...

Mark
Old 09-04-20, 09:34 AM

Gentlemen, remember it is just a television programme and as such is there to provide entertainment! Not everyone has an in depth knowledge on the subject and is quite happy to watch it for what it is worth. I would think that the scenarios are contrived as most lead off to a story about the said item. In summary, just take it for what it is, a pretend story about two chaps and a dog possibly buying and selling militaria and including a bit of history along the way!
Old 09-04-20, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
I must admit, some items on their website aren't bad price wise. I was tempted to purchase 1 item but then thought do I really want to give my hard earned to such a couple of A holes ? No...

Mark
Mark what is their website ;please ?
Andy
Old 09-04-20, 12:39 PM

Whilst I appreciate it is only a telly program, one thing I have learnt in three score years and ten ,is that if you know a little about a subject ,you
will quickly know that a lot of self professed “experts “ are nothing of the sort.

As a friend of mine says “better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and dispel all doubt”

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-04-20, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Whilst I appreciate it is only a telly program, one thing I have learnt in three score years and ten ,is that if you know a little about a subject ,you
will quickly know that a lot of self professed “experts “ are nothing of the sort.

As a friend of mine says “better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and dispel all doubt”

P.B.
A real thread drift, but "food experts" on a TV programme about "Waitrose" a couple of weeks ago rabbited on about ancho chillies as being chillies flavoured with anchovies and felt that the queen wouldn't be favourably impressed by them.
Ancho chillies are just a type of dried chilli, ancho meaning "wide", they''ve never seen a fish and they're not anchovy flavoured.
Even I know that and the closest I get to cooking is my name.
I know it's not important, but "experts"?
Old 09-04-20, 02:15 PM

Default history hunters

Hi Andy,

www.warandson.co.uk

Be safe,

Mark