British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-23, 01:11 PM

Default Royal Canadian Artillery J.R.GAUNT B'HAM

Just a quick question to any RCA collectors. J.R.GAUNT B'HAM on metal badges is of course anathema to British badge collectors, but does the same hold true for Canadian badges? Is this RCA Queen's Crown badge a duffer and if so, would that always be the case on any metal badge? All the best, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7888.jpg (111.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7889.jpg (109.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7890.jpg (64.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-11-23, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the late reply. I have been doing some digging, and it is difficult to conclusively say either way. There was no need to copy / fake the RCA badge, but some kit shops did purchase badges that were not in the system.
Old 10-11-23, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Bill. I have subsequently found other Canadian badges with same mark and slider for sale on ebay; Le Regiment de Hull, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Royal Montreal Regiment etc. Interestingly they are all Queen's crown badges and therefore contemporary with the J.R.GAUNT B'HAM mark - late 60s/70s. If they are good, they presumably would have been being issued then, so it's surprising no one would have ever come across them. I shall keep my mind open unless anyone can give a definitive one way or the other. How do these look? Mike

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314931432238

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225599915449

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225599906472
Old 10-11-23, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike
Some regiments, either by choice or by necessity ordered badges from Gaunt. The system in Canada made some very poor quality badges for a time, or could not fill demands when requested. So, the units turned to other sources. These were sold through their kit shops. They are "good" in the sense they were not made to deceive but not good in the sense they were authorized.
Old 11-11-23, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello Mike
Some regiments, either by choice or by necessity ordered badges from Gaunt. The system in Canada made some very poor quality badges for a time, or could not fill demands when requested. So, the units turned to other sources. These were sold through their kit shops. They are "good" in the sense they were not made to deceive but not good in the sense they were authorized.
Thanks Bill! That's very interesting, and just what I was after. I think what you're saying is that these JRG B'Ham marked Canadian badges are what we in the British badge world would call 'Private Purchase' ie badges bought in at regimental level and then sold, either compulsorily or in need, to soldiers, at their own expense, from kit shops or 'PRI' shops. I know with British badges there is some debate as to the collecting worth of such badges, but for me, that's good enough for the RCA badge in the OP to stay in the collection. Many thanks. All the best, Mike