British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-09, 08:42 PM

Default King's Royal Rifle Corps

I am trying to date this photograph and wonder if anyone can help please. I apologise for the poor quality of the scan but it does appear that the officers' shoulder belt badges have a QVC. The Helmet badges, however, appear to be more Kings' Crown in shape, whilst the badge on the Bass drum appears to have had the South Africa scroll added to the original. I would be grateful if anyone could advise as to whether belt badges did actually change to King's crowns as those being worn in the photo appear to indicate that this photo could date from the early 1900's. I believe it was taken in India.
Many thanks
Peter4447
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KRRC.jpg (58.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 14-05-09, 03:50 PM

Was it common practice for the KRRC to wear cap lines?
Old 14-05-09, 03:59 PM

Hi 54Bty.
I can't answer that one I'm afraid. Although a superb photo I am really struggling on this one. I based my belief that it is a KRRC Bn on the Light Infantry/Rifle shoulder belts worn by the officers and the shape of the cap badges which on the original are clearly ther same shape as that on the Bass Drum.
Peter
Old 14-05-09, 04:11 PM

Just a thought, you may want to check out the ancestry of the current 'Light Draggons', who wear a similar badge.
Old 14-05-09, 04:20 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4447 View Post
I am trying to date this photograph and wonder if anyone can help please. I apologise for the poor quality of the scan but it does appear that the officers' shoulder belt badges have a QVC. The Helmet badges, however, appear to be more Kings' Crown in shape, whilst the badge on the Bass drum appears to have had the South Africa scroll added to the original. I would be grateful if anyone could advise as to whether belt badges did actually change to King's crowns as those being worn in the photo appear to indicate that this photo could date from the early 1900's. I believe it was taken in India.
Many thanks
Peter4447
There is a picture of a KRRC shoulder belt plate on page 3 of my album.
You might want to compare it with what these guys are wearing.
Old 15-05-09, 08:50 AM
guest456

Default King's Royal Rifle Corps

As a point of accuracy, the KRRC did not wear shoulder belt plates - they wore pouch belt plates. The 'shoulder belt' supported a sword or hanger whereas the 'pouch belt' supported a pouch.
Old 15-05-09, 07:14 PM

Hi Wright241.
Many thanks I have checked your gallery and we definately appear to have a match.
Hi 54Bty.
Thanks for pushing me to search harder! I couldn't find anything similar for the cavalry but when going over the evidence once again, the penny finally dropped when I realised that none of those on the photo are wearing 14-18 War medals, those that are being worn are QSA/KSA so the photo is much earlier than I originally thought. The 1st Bn KRRC went from the Boer War to Malta, Egypt and the Sudan before returning to the UK in 1907 so it could well be the battalion in question.
Anyway I'm happy to accept this is a KRRC Band so thank you both for your help - it is appreciated.
Peter4447