British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-16, 08:08 AM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry collar badges 1914-18

Here is a classic example of the age old question that asks if collar badges were worn during the Great War. Some will say that they were worn and some will say that they were not. Some will say that the Yeomanry wore them and some will say that the Yeomanry did not.

In this photograph three soldiers are wearing them but the vast majority are not. So did the Glamorgan Yeomanry wear collar badges during the Great War?

I think that the answer has to be yes and eh, no. Or at least 97% of A Squadron didn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glam.jpg (60.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-10-16, 08:53 AM

That photo may well be a pre-war annual camp as it was taken by Yank Powell who is known to have followed the Glam Yeo around on their camps. I don't know if he carried on during the War but I know Brookies has more information on Yank Powell and may well be able to confirm.
Old 10-10-16, 09:16 AM

The photograph was taken in Portsmouth. I was taking the term 2nd line to mean 2/1st Glamorgan Yeomanry which would date it to no earlier than 1914.
Old 10-10-16, 10:35 AM

Some close up pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glam 005.jpg (67.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Glam 002.jpg (42.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Glam 008.jpg (57.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Glam 001.jpg (48.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-10-16, 10:47 AM

I think you may have the reason right there. If you look closely at those wearing the collars they all appear to have the upright collar uniform which may well indicate that they were previously serving with the 1st Glam prior to formation of the 2nd line unit and were transferred in to provide some experienced troopers.
I'll see what I've got in my Glam Yeomanry album when I get home tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
The photograph was taken in Portsmouth. I was taking the term 2nd line to mean 2/1st Glamorgan Yeomanry which would date it to no earlier than 1914.
Old 10-10-16, 11:21 PM

Evening.

Collars were worn by some troopers in WW1 but it wasn't the norm.

Two photo's attached showing them being worn, first photo taken 1914 and second 1916 (Yank Powell) fourth from left and middle back row, third taken c. 1914/15 (Yank Powell)

Jonathan.

img084.jpgimg107.jpgimg099.jpg
Old 11-10-16, 12:24 PM

Having checked my PPCs I can only confirm what Brookies has said in that some appeared to wear them and some not, but feel my earlier supposition regarding earlier service is backed up by the uniforms shown in Brookies' post. As a coincidence I have a PPC to larger image at the start of the thread.
Old 11-10-16, 12:41 PM

The photograph in the first post is in the post card format that was in common use during the Great War. Is your post card identical?
Old 11-10-16, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Here is a classic example of the age old question that asks if collar badges were worn during the Great War.
I can see why you would want a definitive answer with this. It's in our nature to want to understand things. However, you may or may not not get a 100% certain answer because as far as the IY or TF Yeomanry was concerned the rule book went out of the window. That's why collecting badges for yeoman units is both challenging and rewarding!
Old 11-10-16, 09:40 PM

Yes it is identical. i'll scan in a few of my post cards when I get a moment
Quote:
The photograph in the first post is in the post card format that was in common use during the Great War. Is your post card identical?
Old 12-10-16, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
I can see why you would want a definitive answer with this. It's in our nature to want to understand things. However, you may or may not not get a 100% certain answer because as far as the IY or TF Yeomanry was concerned the rule book went out of the window. That's why collecting badges for yeoman units is both challenging and rewarding!
I honestly wasn't looking for a definitive answer but was rather hoping to illustrate that there is no definitive answer. Photographs are wonderful things in our collecting field as they illustrate things that shouldn't have happened but clearly did.

Simon.