British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-16, 09:54 AM

Default XXVI Hussars-Cap or Collar?

I picked this up last week is it a cap badge or collar badge? 3.6cm wing tip to wing tip 3.5cm top of crown to base of scroll.

any info most gratefully received.

regards

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5522.jpg (78.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5523.jpg (86.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 15-10-16, 10:54 AM

Hi Mark,

As you will probably be aware this a UK Gaunt produced badge and what is referred to as the second pattern; the first being of Indian origin in manufacture.

This Gaunt pattern would have been made with the intention of it being essentially a collar, although it is regarded as being adopted in India for use with head-dress, too. That is on the basis certainly the first pattern on lugs was (also one of a facing pair of collars) and derivatives cast from, or emulating the second pattern design in addition.

There's an Indian second pattern derivative example in my album on the cloth backing for use on the beret which has lugs; the pagri example is a first pattern eagle with a second patt. influenced scroll (devoid of the "XXVI" tablet) also on lugs. So even after the introduction of Gaunt badges the lugged versions of a description were indeed in use. Of course, Indian slider badges to the 26H also exist, including the first patt. at that.

However, that aside, yours is technically a collar.

Best,

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus H; 15-10-16 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell and my grammar is poor
Old 16-10-16, 05:37 PM

Marcus, I knew none of what you wrote so many thanks for educating me.

regards

Mark
Old 17-10-16, 07:04 AM
Banned

To support what Marcus has already said, made as a collar but worn on the beret on the Regimental Maroon and Yellow diamond backing.

Regards,

FMT600