British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-21, 10:23 AM

Default Help needed with Non-European Army Services uniforms

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the uniforms worn during the second world war by the Native Military Corps, Indian & Malay Corps and the Cape Corps were all the same, but just with their respective regimental collar badge. In most of the pictures I've seen of the three aforementioned units, their uniforms all looked the same to me.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 28-11-21, 10:46 AM

They were all part of the UDF and consequently all wore the same uniform as any other member of the UDF
Old 28-11-21, 10:53 AM

Greetings Milmed,

I am aware that they were all part of the Union Defence Force. But what I am referring to specifically (maybe I should've been clearer in the first post) is the uniform I've posted a picture of below.

CC, NMC and IMC to my knowledge all seem to have worn this uniform. But again, that is to my knowledge.

Besides this uniform, I am also aware that the battledress was worn in North Africa, along with (probably) the regular khaki uniform of the Union Defence Force, but this is the uniform I see used most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEASUniform.jpg (43.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 28-11-21, 02:58 PM

That is a standard UDF long sleeve bush jacket and trousers. Not unique to NEAS.

European UDF did however also get an issue of a tunic (light khaki drill for non officers and dark gabardine for officers), which I suspect the NEAS did not receive.

And yes in the cold climates, there was an issue of wool battledress jacket and trousers for everyone
Old 28-11-21, 04:16 PM

I reckon that solves it then.

One question that remains unanswered however, would the respective collar badges be worn with the bush jacket? So far, I've only seen it in use by the NMC, because pictures of the IMC and CC are rather scarce to find. IMC especially.

I do know that the European UDF did not have collar badges on the bush jacket.

Last edited by GatinhoDeGato123; 28-11-21 at 04:33 PM.
Old 29-11-21, 01:20 PM

Correct, collar badges were not worn on the bush jacket and in my research I have noted the following:

Cape Corps:
Only European officers and the CC Band wore collar badges

Indian & Malay Corps:
Again I think only the European officers wore IMC collar badges. Pictures of IMC members are very scarce.

Native Military Corps:
Very few pictures and generally they did not wear collar badges, but I have seen one or two group pictures of collar badges been worn by NMC members.

I believe the uniform you show was put together for that collection and not an original period item.
Old 29-11-21, 02:49 PM

In that case, I've attached a historical picture of a group of NMC soldiers below. It's quite obvious that they are wearing collar badges in this particular picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMC1.jpg (37.4 KB, 15 views)

Tags
neas, nmc, south africa, ww2, wwii