British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-19, 06:41 PM

Default Warwickshire Imperial Yeomanry

Surprisingly after a decade there still doesn’t seem to be a thread on the badges of the Warwickshire Imperial Yeomanry.

Does anyone have a known genuine badge to show?

The third attached image is of a yeomanry article which shows badges in the collection of renowned yeomanry collector Keith Hook.

I recently bought the attached GM badge shown based on the photo of Badge 3 in the article in the hope it’s a genuine IY badge. Does anyone have an opinion on if this is an IY badge and if it’s genuine?

Although the bear’s eyes look like he’s done a shift in a glue factory I feel there are many good points about the badge. Firstly this badge is very different from the common fakes and seldom seen. The proportions of the limbs are better and fur much finer. Additionally the badge is a good strike with nice thickness.

I’m quietly confident it’s genuine but if not feel free to shatter my dream as it only cost £1.71.

Also note Badge 1 is from the same die as the Warwickshire IY badge illustrated in K&K, however, Keith Hook identifies it as a slouch hat badge. After much scouring of the interweb I found only a single picture of a badge from this die which was in silver.

Any comments welcome.
Old 13-07-19, 02:47 PM

Also been given the thumbs up on this one by Keith Hook.
Old 04-12-19, 09:02 PM

Hello Luke, and others,
I would be grateful for comment on the attached badges.
The one on the left is silver, or silver plated.
The one on the right is similar to your badge shown but has 2 lugs East-West.
Perhaps Keith Hook may like to comment.
Thanks, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIY.jpg (18.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg WIYrev.jpg (80.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg WIY1_Screen_cap_panel.jpg (81.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-12-19, 09:21 PM

One on the left is a fake. One on the right is a very lovely slouch hat badge.

The only other one I’ve ever seen, apart from the picture in K&K, is in Keith’s collection. Why it is looped E-W I’m not sure. The size also matches.

Keith’s HM silver officer’s and sp NCO badges do have E-W fixings but they’re die cast whereas yours is die stamped, again exactly like the OR slouch hat badge. Should you ever want to part with it please let me know.

The slouch hat badge was worn with a rosette which comprised a white centre and dark blue outer.
Old 04-12-19, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
One on the left is a fake. One on the right is a very lovely slouch hat badge.

The only other one I’ve ever seen, apart from the picture in K&K, is in Keith’s collection. Why it is looped E-W I’m not sure. The size also matches.

Keith’s HM silver officer’s and sp NCO badges do have E-W fixings but they’re die cast whereas yours is die stamped, again exactly like the OR slouch hat badge. Should you ever want to part with it please let me know.

The slouch hat badge was worn with a rosette which comprised a white centre and dark blue outer.
Many Thanks for your valuable comments, Luke.
I had my doubts about the "WARWICKSHIRE I Y" badge, although it looks very attractive.
I will keep you in mind, thanks.
John
Old 04-12-19, 11:14 PM

While not IY, here is my tiny Warwick Yeomanry OSD badge, replete with mini slider. I think I have seen only one other like it over the years.
I think the slider was dictated by it's size as blades would be to large to fit to it. The smallest badge I have.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8869.JPG (73.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8870.JPG (62.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 20-03-20, 09:13 PM

Very pleased to snare this one even if it did make the eyes water a bit.

Having discussed this E-W looped WM version with Keith at greater length he’s of the opinion the E-W badge is very likely for the blue and white peaked cap which was worn until 1910/11. His rationale is a N-S loop configuration would foul the cap’s metal stiffener and also the loops are long enough to go through the quite thick band. Makes sense and seems logical to me with WM badges often worn on the blue dress uniforms.

A rare and beautiful beast IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 188BF820-03AC-4F40-B9ED-9FFB4436A516.jpg (53.2 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 173B58E9-9F19-40A3-AF30-0BAA67AF001C.jpg (57.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg A6D58C4F-4FFE-4B67-8BEF-6B79CB5C6665.jpg (54.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 20-03-20, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Very pleased to snare this one even if it did make the eyes water a bit.

Having discussed this E-W looped WM version with Keith at greater length he’s of the opinion the E-W badge is very likely for the blue and white peaked cap which was worn until 1910/11. His rationale is a N-S loop configuration would foul the cap’s metal stiffener and also the loops are long enough to go through the quite thick band. Makes sense and seems logical to me with WM badges often worn on the blue dress uniforms.

A rare and beautiful beast IMO.
Very nice, Luke. Thanks for sharing pictures and Keith's rationale.
Regards, John
Old 21-03-20, 11:14 PM

Thanks very much John.
Old 03-10-20, 03:00 PM

Default Bronzed version

Two more for the collection. Apologies for the garish coloured Play-Doh, the boy has hidden the blu tack.

I’d never seen a bronzed version before this and until it arrived due to the lack of voids between the chain + bear’s body and loop position I was unsure if it was a collar, but upon arrival it is indeed GM I.Y. cap badge size.

The literature lists a bz’d version worn on SD cap 1908-11/12.
Old 03-10-20, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
While not IY, here is my tiny Warwick Yeomanry OSD badge, replete with mini slider. I think I have seen only one other like it over the years.
I think the slider was dictated by it's size as blades would be to large to fit to it. The smallest badge I have.

CB
Also tiny - a 25mm x 15mm bullion badge (a collar badge?) sewn on to a 1953 dated issue dark blue beret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warwick Yeo Officers Beret Badge 001.jpg (42.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-05-22, 10:17 PM

Not I.Y. but was delighted when this little one arrived.

It is an early, circa 1911, wm cap badge for wear on full dress coloured cap. The slider on it is very dinky indeed, esp. next to the RA for scale.

… Now just the post WW2 die cast wm version to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3EE787FE-6EEF-48E4-9476-0C83A73F4820.jpg (83.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 1044F8DC-335B-47C8-A1EA-14D14BFF8BBC.jpg (88.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-05-22, 07:03 AM

A pleasing thread, really nice badges.
Chris
Old 03-05-22, 08:08 AM

Default Warwickshire Imperial Yeomanry

Without wishing to rain on your parade Luke or question Keith Hook's judgement on Yeomanry badges I cannot help noticing the badge you have shown has footed lugs, certainly the bottom lug shows "feet".

In the past many badges shown on this forum have been judged as fakes due to the lugs having feet and no doubt the judgement was correct in many cases, but were badges made in the early part of the last century given footed lugs for the the ease of attaching them?

Rob
Old 03-05-22, 06:20 PM

There are feet and then there are ‘feet’ Rob.

You’ll find on a lot of badges, even the early ones, have the bottom wire of the loop pulled out presumably to increase the surface area. Importantly however this is only really the width of the wires gauge itself.

An illustration from an early 1900s Gaunt catalogue:

The below Warks demonstrates this albeit excessively. It is similar to some Scots badges, the Black Watch TF springs to mind. Many other period loops do have a shorter squared off end.

The modern ‘feet’ (size 13 Doc Martens!) have flattened splayed bases which are wider than the wires gauge and immediately squish out à la the stereotypical dustbin lid. Sometimes there is a raised ridge in the centre of the foot which runs into the shaft.

Notwithstanding the wire itself is different in my opinion, the shafts seem to be longer in proportion to the aperture of the loop and also the shaft wire itself is a bit flatter often with a sharper edge. I’ve attached a few similarly extreme bad examples.

Finally when it comes to authenticating badges I find it best to adopt a scientific approach and base appraisals on the die the badge is from after lengthy research, so if the shoe fits as they say, and the shoe fits here.

I sleep very soundly with these and know they’re right so rain as much as you like Rob .

Last edited by Luke H; 15-05-22 at 03:03 PM.