British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-08, 04:48 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Inflation

MAN, you talk about inflation, There is a canvas V111 Recce on ebay now & the guy is asking $100.00 for it. Not a real scarce title either. Ray
Old 18-09-08, 07:37 PM

Hi Ray, then check this one CFPU, a bargain at C$600.00.
Jo
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Canadian-Fil...d=p3286.c0.m14

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-09-08, 08:05 PM

Yes & that came from a large collection but this is the only item he has on auction. har-har Not even the Halifax Rifles or the 3rd bn Irish Fusiliers should be that much, I don't make so mush out of the bids reaching a big price but the asking bid? The Halifax (red on green two words) is the the rarest one that I know of, Any one else think of a rarer one.
This would make a interesting thread,the rarest Canadian cloth title that you know. I've seen the Film & Photo now & then maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But you know Jo there is always someone out there with the money, and thats what makes it difficult for the working man to have a hobby any hobby.I know of a collector with lots of money & he will not pay these prices he will do without it first. Ray
Old 18-09-08, 09:47 PM

Hi Ray, I always thought that the prices paid for so-called rare or scarce badges/titles depends on the buyer's willingness (or stupidity) to spend X-amount of $. If someone thinks that $600.00 is an OK price and he's going crazy for that particular title then, nobody is going to stop him. On another point, I know of a well-known so-called collector (in the Montreal area)who or many years bought or traded all the canvas titles (among many many others items*) he could lay his hands on. Not to have a beautiful, one-of-a-kind collection (that might have been his initial motivation) but to have the market dried-up of wanted titles, then he would show up,at a show, with a shoe box-full of titles and ask if you had "anything to trade", knowing full well that some would give an arm and a leg for one of the titles because "he" was the one with the rare/scarce stuff.

Jo

*This guy did it with officer's badges and collars from the Militia period all the way to the KC period, also with german badges and insignias.He used to have Rikers mount piled 12in. high on his tables at shows.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 18-09-08, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

One of the rarest Canadian cloth items (in my opinion) is the RCAVC khaki worsted slip-on. Another candidate is the canvas Lanark & Renfrew Scottish.
Old 18-09-08, 10:21 PM

Very good Bill,I didn't think of the RCAVC and had no idea of the Lanark being a scarce one,Can't say I ever saw one though.
Old 18-09-08, 10:35 PM

Hello Bill, two questions for you. First, the RCAVC was disbanded around Sept. 1940, did Army HQ had time to order the slip-ons since they had to supply the units (1st Div.in '39 and 2nd Div in '40) going overseas first?
Second, since the L&R Scot. was an "ad-hoc" unit formed in Italy (mid '44 to 02-'45) and since the Canadian-based Bn. was disbanded in '43, again, did the supply HQ had time to order the canvas titles and distribute them?

Jo

Old 18-09-08, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure I understand the question Jo. In my understanding, the khaki slip-ons were ordered by the army for all units at one time. This was sometime in late 39 or early 40. At that point in time the RCAVC was still on the order of battle, until officially stood down November 1, 1940. So, they would have been under the authority for an issue. (Question, what became of the ex-RCAVC personnel? RCOC?)
The L & R Scots were on the order of battle for the army in the UK / Europe, and the canvas titles were only made for units of the Canadian army in Europe. If the unit was not in Europe, it did not get canvas titles. At some point there must have been a confusion between the staff who ordered and the existence of the units, or maybe it was simply time lag between the order and the change in orbat. (The only exception to that rule is the odd Kiska patch, and the Canadian Army Trade School, and the jury is still out on the Trade Schools.)

Last edited by Bill A; 19-09-08 at 12:18 AM.
Old 18-09-08, 11:53 PM

Default Rare ones!

Hi Bill, I always thought that CFPU embroidered was a pretty rare one, I have only seen one,but I have seen several printed ones.
Old 19-09-08, 12:21 AM

Ok guys, what is the CFPU?

Greg
Old 19-09-08, 12:25 AM

Default Cfpu!

Canadian Film and Photo Unit!Hehehe!!
Old 19-09-08, 12:48 AM

Bill, you have answered my questions. Thanks.
Jo

Old 19-09-08, 01:33 PM

Canadian Film & photo Unit Greg. and I'll bet you have one. Ray
Old 22-09-08, 03:18 AM

CFPU = Canadian Film and Photo Unit (see link to ebay in this thread to a title for this unit).
Old 22-09-08, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Note that the $600 Film & Photo didn't sell. For a relatively available title, the price being sought was very high.
No one mentioned the PEILH slip-on that realized nearly $1000 when auctioned by Chris Brooker a year or so ago.
Other contenders?

Tags
cfpu, peilh, rcavc