British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-21, 03:41 AM

Default Metal Shoulder Titles

I have some thoughts about the answer to this question, but it would just be wild guesses on my part. Therefore, I am asking those who know far more than me.

Everywhere I look metal shoulder titles seem to be high priced (not crazy money, just higher than badges that are far more interesting). I am curious as to why this is?

I do have a few, but when I see the price for one I want I realize I can get sometimes two or three other items I want for the money.

Thanks for helping a Yank along,

Terry
Old 13-08-21, 07:17 PM

The explanation I've most frequently heard is that, unlike cap badges, metal titles were not as widely collected. The same goes for collar badges. Forum members whose collecting history stretches back to the 70s and earlier have often mentioned picking up titles and collars for a few pence a piece. With little perceived value, many were scrapped (especially during WW2) or simply thrown out.

I only have a shade over 20 years of collecting experience and my impression (which may be wrong) is that metal titles are cheaper than a few years ago. Then again, I focus on 1908-1918, so the centenary of the Great War pushed prices up a bit.
Old 13-08-21, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. I figured it had to do with being ignored and not as many survived, thus, the old adage - The Law of Supply and Demand.

I know the ones I'd like run in the 40 GBP price range! But every once in a while I'll see a bargain.

Terry
Old 13-08-21, 08:25 PM

Since I mainly pursue the multitiered TF titles, I feel your pain, especially as I chase down the scarcer ones. These arrived from the UK last week and they were definitely north of £40 each
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.jpg (87.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 14-08-21, 01:52 AM

It really depends upon the particular title. Standard line infantry/cavalry/corps were, and still are, cheap; but the picture changes once one looks beyond these.

CB
Old 14-08-21, 02:08 AM

CB, I am sure that's part of it too. And, the ones I wnat are the more scarce ones.

Padre, The ones I'd like are VAD multi-tier titles, and a single runs around 40 GBP! I do have a mice Australian VAD title that I got very reasonably.

Thank you gentlemen,

Terry
Old 14-08-21, 05:39 PM

Default VAD multi-tier titles

Terry,
In over sixty years of collecting I have only had one of these, they are quite scarce.
Rob