British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-21, 10:31 PM

Default Royal Canadian Hussars

Greetings,

Could anyone tell me what era this Royal Canadian Hussars badge dates from please?

The makers mark reads J.R. GAUNT / MONTREAL / MADE IN ENGLAND and isn’t one I’m familiar with but I don’t doubt it’s authenticity.

The slider is also neatly tapered to fit flush against the badge without overhang.

To my eyes I feel it’s post WW2, perhaps 1950s?

Any information welcome, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE54CE1F-DB0A-4E7F-811B-2E59B7AC172E.jpg (91.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 8811C035-AA45-4575-89F7-2EFD9F518764.jpg (99.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 4FC40071-8602-47F5-A80F-913B79ABE1ED.jpg (110.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 23-03-21, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Luke, the Royal Canadian Hussars were formed in 1958 by the amalgamation of the 6th Royal Hussars and the 17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars. The same style of badge is still in wear today. The British made badges were apparently a Kit Shop purchase, not a DND system acquisition.
Old 23-03-21, 10:50 PM

Many thanks for the quick and informative reply Bill. 1958 is a couple year later than I expected.

Were the RCH on deployment to the UK around that time? Commissioning Gaunt to make a die and quality badge with bespoke slider I suspect wouldn’t have been cheap, more so if transatlantic shipping were added, so surprised to hear it’s a kit shop item. All very interesting.

The quality is lovely, you can probably see the thickness of the strike and good detail.
Old 24-03-21, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

The Royal Canadian Hussars are an armoured regiment in the primary reserve. They were not deployed as a unit overseas. Members may have been seconded or on training courses.
There are many Canadian badges from this time period with the Gaunt maker mark. They were not system issued, and it has been suggested there was "discontent" with the quality and acquisition process leading to purchase from "outside" sources.