British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-09, 05:34 PM

Default Album Questions

Any one else think it might be interesting to have a thread linked to the "All Albums" part of the Forum,not to criticise pictures in there but in fact exactly the opposite, and to ask for further information on items which appear there and which raise questions ?

P.B.

All Albums

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Mike; 22-02-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add link
Old 20-02-09, 10:03 PM

PB,
Whilst I agree with your proposal I feel we will need a degree of self discipline.
My reasoning is that I have noticed some obvious copies/fakes in some members' albums and advising them of this fact will undoubtedly ellicit an angry response.
I'm lucky that I only collect to Welsh units and therefore, have potentially fewer errors to make. However, I have already noticed in my cursory scans of other albums that Welsh Horse badges are included that are clearly fakes.
They are not re-strikes or copies as they are not the correct pattern.
I would personally welcome constructive advice as to the originality of those badges in my albums, on some of which I have doubts.
Please excuse any mistakes in my spelling as I'm watching a programme on Llewelyn ein Llyw Olaf whilst typing in English.
Cofion,
41ed

Last edited by 41st; 20-02-09 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Gwraig
Old 21-02-09, 06:50 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Agree with 41st. I was let off doing Welsh when I was at school in Brecon
'cos I was English and an army brat. Thank heavens, which was odd because
French or German were NOT available.... So no comments in Welsh from me.
I can only remember the numbers and well done. I digress as usual.

Its always worthwhile getting some feedback - even if
sometimes, I don't always agree with it. Its 'healthier' than not being able
say anything - I have worked over in Germany - North and down in deepest
Bavaria for some years now and you have no idea about what is
verboten here or how a simple, innocent remark can be construed as "really
unfriendly" -. and cause all sorts of problems...

e.g. and this is verbatim -

"would you please let me know at the time it happens that you will not
be able to pay this invoice on the agreed date"

Phone calls and all sorts of things were bandied around as this was considered very "unfriendly". Watch out UK, its coming your way.......

The PC brigade got here donkeys years ago. For goodness sake, you are
not even supposed to honk your horn or flash your lights......
You can't even accuse anyone of doing something stupid - its dem brot -
a piece of bread....
The idea sounds reasonable to me.

You all have a nice day and keep "truckin".
Old 21-02-09, 08:19 AM

As an example,the sort of thing I had in mind was in connection Wairua`s most interesting album on the 51st Division.

This is in respect of the Argyles balmoral. It appears to me that most of the Highland Regiments adopted the balmoral in place of the Glengarry for a relatively short period around the 1960`s and at roughly the same time adopted the white leather sporran ( as attached ).
Does anyone have any further information as to dates and why the changes occured ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9619.jpg (45.3 KB, 98 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-02-09, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Spending the last hour looking through enfant perdus's post card album raised my own question "why didn't I start collecting these when they were pence each, rather than £3, £5, £10 , or "think of a number" if two bidders want it on eBay."

too late now
You'll note the paucity of Irish Regiments in my collection, not to mention Pals battalions, for just that reason. Collectors who specialize in certain Regiments quite often get the better of me, particularly if it's a scarcer unit. My forthcoming album of Cavalry and Yeomanry PPCs will demonstrate this in spades!
Old 22-02-09, 08:23 AM

Seeing the RUC rank pips and crowns in Ulstermans RUC album reminded me of something that happened in the 1970`s.

I was in correspondence with a Canandian collector who had 2 cap badges of the 5th V.B. KLR ( Liverpool Irish ) a QVC and a KC example, which he was prepared to exchange for something for his own collection.

When I asked him what he would take in exchange he said he had an interest in the RUC and wanted sufficent pips and crowns to mount a display showing all the various ranks. I did not for one moment expect the RUC to be prepared to sell such items and thought that the Canadian collector might have tried them ( The RUC ) directly in the first place ,but as I was very keen to get hold of the Liverpool Irish badges I wrote off to the RUC and explained what I wanted and why.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I recieved a reply saying they would sell me as many pips and crowns as I needed for 10p each.So for about £2 I ended up with the 2 badges.

I still cannot believe my luck but the badges are there in my albums to prove it happened.

P.B.

Old 24-02-09, 06:34 PM

Nice to see Andys Welsh Guards album.

On Sunday I went to the annual local military modelling show here in Crewe called "The Militaire",there was one stall selling badges ( all made yesterday or the day before)

A young lad aged about 12 asked how much the Welsh Guards badge was ,the reply £7,so he then got his pocket money out and bought the item.

( I would expect to get a completley genuine example for around £4/5 )

I was very tempted to say something ,but easier said than done in the circumstances, what would others have done ?

Here was a potential collector paying over the odds for something in my opinion worth pence and I wonder how long his collecting days will last ? )

P.B.

Old 15-03-09, 12:37 AM

Default Scams witnessed.

Hello 8thfoot. A very difficult position to be in when witnessing a scam such as you described. I hate the scum who rip off innocent people and kids. I gave it some thought and wondered of the possibilities if any of us were to witness a similar incident, whether we would consider approaching the lad after a short while and hoping that he had an adult with him, introduce ourselves (I carry cards) then try to ascertain what his interests were. One could then well be a mentor and perhaps through those actions, help the collecting fraternity by good guidance and friendly advice and gaining an enthusiastic convert. I know in retrospect that I wish I had had someone to steer me away from some of the badges I've bought, and I wasn't even a kid! Best regards, David J.
Old 15-03-09, 03:54 PM

Default Restrike sellers

I too have been in this position some twenty years ago, I watched a lady write out a cheque for a load of restrikes bought from an older dealer who proudly used to say that he had collected badges in WWII.

You feel like Judas watching this sham. This dealer and I never got on, along with some others who sold restrikes at this the fair I can honestly say I found them abhorrent. I do not have a problem with people who sell restrikes, only with people who sell restrikes at original prices and claim they are original.
Old 14-04-09, 10:47 PM

Only just got round to reading this thread but glad you found the 51st album interesting 8th Foot. Still hope to add to it when I can get enough free time to do it justice.

Re comments on being informed that a badge may not be as original as the owner would like, as long as it was done in a constructive way I for one would actually welcome that.

Better to learn on here where people have a genuine interest and are willing to share their knowledge than in a more public place from someone wanting to show off or score points etc.

If it helped another collector avoid making a dodgy purchase then so much the better.

On a slightly different tack, one of the badges shown in my album is a restrike (and labelled as such) but it was worn on my TOS both in the UK and overseas in preference to the issued AA version. It would be interesting to hear other members comments on whether that would change the way they view the badge...

Wairua Out
Old 15-04-09, 10:44 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello gentlemen,

I've had some of my collection ' picked ' on in the past, normally at my own request, all responses were unoffensive ( apart for one poor Lamb that was picked on with such ferocity that it now has an inferiority complex ), what's the point in asking and then getting raggy over the replies.

I have also had unsolicited opinions, which I would prefer not to recieve in the open links ( a bit like spelling ??? ) but I wonder if, members with doubts could not send a PM with their concerns, no offence meant and hopefully, none taken ?????

Those who knowingly have a re-strike in their collection could put their point across in private and it would stay just that, private................of course they could also highlight that fact in the description of a badge and so avoid any adverse comments in the first place.

Just a thought ???

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 16-04-09 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typographical error
Old 15-04-09, 11:45 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello gentlemen,

I've had some of my collection ' picked ' on in the past, normally at my own request, all responses were unoffensive ( apart for one poor Lamb that was picked on with such ferocity that it now has an inferior complex ), what's the point in asking and then getting raggy over the replies.

I have also had unsolicited opinions, which I would prefer not to recieve in the open links ( a bit like spelling ??? ) but I wonder if, members with doubts could not send a PM with their concerns, no offence meant and hopefully, none taken ?????

Those who knowingly have a re-strike in their collection could put their point across in private and it would stay just that, private................of course they could also highlight that fact in the description of a badge and so avoid any adverse commentd in the first place.

Just a thought ???

Dave.
Dave,
Sounds good.
david
Old 16-04-09, 08:08 AM

Default Albums

Hello again David,

Just to follow up my earlier comments, I have two badges in my small Worcestershire collection that I'm sure are copies......I may have others elsewhere but this post is to highlight these.

The brass Volunteers, should, according to K.& K. be bronze and the white metal Volunteers shouldn't have the extra scroll under the title scroll.

Both badges are, I think, as rare as ' rocking horse doo doo ' to coin a phrase, because of this fact, I am more than happy to include these two in my collection but if anyone wants to help me replace them with the the real deal, please don't hesitate to contact me, lol.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user470_pic9128_1238185316[1].jpg (36.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 18-04-09, 04:20 PM

Default members thoughts please

Hello gentlemen,

Further to my suggestion, re members opinions when relating to albums posted, I would prefer to ask for thoughts on said badges.

I have listed a few more in my Infantry section, some I know are OK three, I'm unsure of.

The Northamptonshre Reg't was bought as an original and certainly looks very nice from the front...............................but ??

As with the Cheshire Reg't ( this is one of my repairs ) and despite the discolourisation, looks reasonable from the front ...............but ?? neither of these two have the magic ?? vent holes but do they need them ??

The third badge in question, to the King's Own, is a fairly well made cast bronze version but with a slider, I know some regiments had bronze badges for other ranks, I have one to the Worcesters, is this another ??

Your opinions please.

Dave.
Old 24-04-09, 12:26 PM

Default 8th Hussars Album

Hi All,

Any Questions or views on the 8H album please ask

3748 Hussar