British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-20, 02:10 PM

Hello,

It looks good ...

116 - L/Cpl Jean Reiffers - 10001 FN 43 - troop 8 - Blessé et évacué le 6 juin

Reiffers was from Luxembourg. If you want to sell it, thanks to let me know, I already have some documents from this man ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 09-12-20, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layhe View Post
If original (I'm fairly sure it is) I'd love to know who the original recipient was and how he faired.
I think your badge is original and as Herve wrote was the first badge handed over to Jean Reiffers on May 11th 1944. He was trained at Achnacarry in June/July 1943 and joined the 2nd section of Troop 8. Shortly after landing on June 6th 1944, his section was heavily shelled while progressing towards Riva-Bella and he was very seriously wounded with about 10 of his comrades. He was injured a second time in the afternoon by a German prisoner who threw a grenade at his group, waiting to be evacuated on the beach. Jean Reiffers never fully recovered from his wounds and didn't follow the unit in Holland.
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/...s_001.jpg.html
I'm sure your badge will receive a lot of interest from the community.
Old 10-12-20, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Is anyone able to confirm the validity of my badge? From reading the thread it appears to have been widely copied.

This particular one was given to me by my Grandfather many, many years ago. I was told he swapped while serving in WW11. The issue number on the back is 116. If original (I'm fairly sure it is) I'd love to know who the original recipient was and how he faired.

Thank you.
No doubts about that one - a very rare and lovely badge, with a great story..
Old 10-12-20, 04:53 PM

Hervé, I sent you a PM.
Old 05-10-22, 02:29 PM

Looks like a copy of the copper/bronze one by Gaunt.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/275481582569

Price is going up. But the colour seems off compared to what have been posted don't you think ?
Old 05-10-22, 02:40 PM

Hello,

It is an obvious copy ... but I don't know if I'm answering your question ...

Best retards ... Herve
Old 05-10-22, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half12 View Post
Hello,

It is an obvious copy ... but I don't know if I'm answering your question ...

Best retards ... Herve
Merci Hervé.

Yes. That lead to the second part of the question. What were those two attached below by Gaunt ? Were there the one from the Longest Day or just a simple restrike or copy ? Do you have an idea when those copies were made ?

I understood from the previous posts the "Made in England" were the one from that movie ? The main actor wear a "Commando Marine" one.

Best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BFMC6.jpg (110.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Christian Marquand closeup.jpg (61.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-10-22, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Looks like a copy of the copper/bronze one by Gaunt.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/275481582569

Price is going up. But the colour seems off compared to what have been posted don't you think ?
That pattern is available from Adrew Butler for 20 GBP:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125010143349?
Old 07-10-22, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
That pattern is available from Adrew Butler for 20 GBP:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125010143349?
Yes. Didn't know his shop. It's mostly good copies. There are other 1 BFMC coming closer to the originals there.
Still my question is in suspend: when was this pattern made ? It surely is a restrike or copy, but would like to know why Gaunt and Chauvet 1943 on a fake one.
Old 07-10-22, 08:52 PM

Quote:
why Gaunt and Chauvet 1943 on a fake one.
Financial reasons, novice collectors will buy them so there is a market.
Old 09-10-22, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Merci Hervé.

Yes. That lead to the second part of the question. What were those two attached below by Gaunt ? Were there the one from the Longest Day or just a simple restrike or copy ? Do you have an idea when those copies were made ?

I understood from the previous posts the "Made in England" were the one from that movie ? The main actor wear a "Commando Marine" one.

Best
This has already been discussed here
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...52&postcount=6
When M. Chauvet discovered sometime in 1950 that his design was being utilized for the ‘Commando Marine’ new badge, he requested to protect and safeguard the ownership of its artistic rights. Consequently, Arthus Bertrand, the badge’s maker at the time, added the inscription ‘M. Chauvet 1943’.
I suspect M. Chauvet was vigilant for making sure that most of the following badges produced in France would be mentioning his name.
In my view, the mention of Gaunt and Chauvet 1943 on this particular (bad) copy of the 1 BFM Cdo has nothing to do with Gaunt. It is not a restrike but an indication of the origins of the design. It could have been produced in France with the agreement of M. Chauvet himself.
As for when it was made, I would say in the last 30 years as some veterans were wearing them during celebrations.
Old 13-09-23, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Is anyone able to confirm the validity of my badge? From reading the thread it appears to have been widely copied.

This particular one was given to me by my Grandfather many, many years ago. I was told he swapped while serving in WW11. The issue number on the back is 116. If original (I'm fairly sure it is) I'd love to know who the original recipient was and how he faired.

Thank you.
Hi Layhe
Yes it's a good badge. Your grandfather is really appreciate by all his comrades. He was in Troop 8 with Captain LOFI
Old 13-02-24, 01:21 AM

@Layhe: it is an amazing badge you have here, keep it preciously.

Guys I'm reopening the subject as a few weeks ago, the exact same white metal "Made In England" variation from post #1 appeared on salesroom.

It seems like a copy of the "real" MIE one, to my eyes, a few details are not there (in addition of the colour) but it seems damn closed.

I wonder who make those and if they are still being made ? are they the 600 units Chauvet was referring to ?
Anyone has ever found the archives of Gaunt for those badges ? Did the 20th century fox kept archives for the longest day production ?

Even if we know those were not worn in the movie, could have they been made for the movie but not used because the men of Hubert commando wanted to keep theirs hardly earn ones ?

A lot of theories....

Last edited by elwe23; 14-02-24 at 12:24 AM.
Old 16-02-24, 11:38 AM

Hello Elwe23
I am busy writing at present, but took a look at posts here.
Your question is intriguing as you mention a White Metal version - I have not seen one.
Is the image you share definitely white metal or just bright light?
You ask good questions, that deserve answers - but of course there are more questions than we can ever answer - hopefully someone can add something. The Gaunt archive for these badges would be most interesting ...
Mike
Old 19-02-24, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Hello Elwe23
I am busy writing at present, but took a look at posts here.
Your question is intriguing as you mention a White Metal version - I have not seen one.
Is the image you share definitely white metal or just bright light?
You ask good questions, that deserve answers - but of course there are more questions than we can ever answer - hopefully someone can add something. The Gaunt archive for these badges would be most interesting ...
Mike
Thanks Mike.
#1 is the same colour white metalish as the one I posted. Would have to hold it in hands to be sure.

Anyone knows what happened to the Gaunt molds after the war ? or the archives of those badges ? Did anyone found any correspondance or note on the matter ?

Cheers