British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-11, 02:06 PM

Default RCAF Wings

Hi, could you tell me what are the time frames of these wings? thanks in advance Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recce 022.jpg (50.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Recce 023.jpg (54.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-10-11, 02:55 PM

Mike, funny you should ask this. Yesterday I just picked up a copy of Warren Carroll's "Wings. Canada & Great Britain 1913 - 1945" (published in 1981) for $20. Looking at the top one, I can't find any RCAF wings that have the gold wire and red and green colours in the crown illustrated in the book; there is an RFC one like it though. The lower one appears to be WW2, c.1941 onwards, with the burlap backing which I have seen on other RCAF and RAF wings and half wings. So, I don't know about the first one. Could be possibly late Thirties. That's my best guess. David
Old 12-10-11, 03:33 PM

Hi David, I'd looked through Carrolls book and couldn't really place them, hence the question. Thanks though for your opinion, Mike
Old 13-10-11, 11:53 PM

The top one looks british made, probably mid to late 30's, bottom one is a good wartime pattern
Old 14-10-11, 07:53 AM

Hi Mike, thanks for that, nice to know when they were worn, Mike
Old 14-10-11, 09:19 AM
Banned

I'd agree with Mike on the second, although I think the top one is probably earlier. Although Warren Carroll claims many black backed wings were worn on the full dress mid to late 1930s, examples worn on uniforms of that period seem to almost exclusively be on a blue/grey backing. Those earlier, earlier to mid 1920s, seem to be seen more frequently on a black backing for the full dress.
Old 15-10-11, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
I'd agree with Mike on the second, although I think the top one is probably earlier. Although Warren Carroll claims many black backed wings were worn on the full dress mid to late 1930s, examples worn on uniforms of that period seem to almost exclusively be on a blue/grey backing. Those earlier, earlier to mid 1920s, seem to be seen more frequently on a black backing for the full dress.
Indeed to a certain extent what you say is true.....however remember the RCAF came into existance in 1924.......most pilots were wearing RAF issues to begin with. The mid/late 20's issue of RCAF wire wings I'd expect to see a straigh across motto, not with the superimposed "C." This wing still to me seems 30's made by a british tailor.