British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-22, 08:35 PM

Default 47RM pith helmet

This helmet began in another category (Unidentified /Help ID the badge) and after determining the Pagri Flash represented the Royal Marines and that its owner, John H. Griffiths, was a Royal Marine from the 47RF who landed at Gold Beach on DDay, thought it might be more appropriate to put it in this category for those with an interest in the Royal Marines.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220713_201654069~2.jpg (50.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220713_201609955.jpg (39.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Westernhighlander; 14-07-22 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 14-07-22, 06:54 AM

Very nice wolseley helmet, does it have a leather edge trim and was he an officer?

Jerry
Old 14-07-22, 10:29 AM

Hello Jerry,
The helmet is private purchase which initially lead me to believe it was for an officer, but no it doesn't have leather trim.I could not find any mention of him being an officer. He died on active duty 2 months after the end of WW2 in Aug 1945. He was only 23.

47 RM was involved in numerous operations beginning with the landing on Gold Beach on DDay and the Battle of Port-en-Bessin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt...Port-en-Bessin

https://www.commandoveterans.org/47RMCommandoContent

Last edited by Westernhighlander; 14-07-22 at 04:15 PM.
Old 14-07-22, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Jerry
Old 22-07-22, 10:11 AM

Not sure if you have spotted but the flash is upside down. The helmets were loan items and all the ORs ones I have seen have been issued items and marked accordingly. Officers wore a variety of types, including the ORs one. If you take a look at https://gallery.commandoveterans.org...47RM+Commando/
You will see a lot of images of 47Cdo RM, I'm not certain they served anywhere hot enough for sun helmets to be issued.
Old 22-07-22, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
Not sure if you have spotted but the flash is upside down.
That was pointed out in another thread .

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...295#post583295

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 24-07-22, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
Not sure if you have spotted but the flash is upside down. The helmets were loan items and all the ORs ones I have seen have been issued items and marked accordingly. Officers wore a variety of types, including the ORs one. If you take a look at https://gallery.commandoveterans.org...47RM+Commando/
You will see a lot of images of 47Cdo RM, I'm not certain they served anywhere hot enough for sun helmets to be issued.
Yes,
It was pointed out in the other thread that the flash is backwards. Having said that, it looks to be original to the helmet. Comparison to how .other helmet flashes were sewn to the Pagri shows that it was sewn in a similar fashion, in the manner of the period. The helmet itself is virtually mint, so I agree, it probably wasn't used in the tropics which is consistent with the history of the 47RM who (to my knowledge) didn't serve in the tropics.
Since it is a private purchase piece it wouldn't have Depot or war department stamps. As a private purchase helmet it does have the owners name stitched to the silk liner, and may have been purchased by him in anticipation of being deployed in the tropics....which never happened....