British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-12, 10:39 AM

Default Badge Cleaning

I was hoping that someone could help me, i have a Coldstream Guards Badge which has had the lugs removed. At a later date someone has cemented a couple of crude lugs on it, i have pulled these lugs off but cannot get rid of the cement. I have used brick acid, i have even froze the badge for 24hrs and then poured boiling water on it hoping that the cement would pop off. So any other ideas would be great.
Thanks Andy
Old 18-08-12, 10:45 AM

Andy

Try some of the wife's nail polish remover, that usually shifts most things I find.

Cheers
Jim
Old 18-08-12, 11:08 AM

I would suggest a dremel multi tool, use a grinding disc until you go as close as you can to the badge, then use a brass brush.

You could send it to Dave C?
Old 18-08-12, 12:53 PM

Good ideas both, i was thinking about a dremmel multi tool. Dave`s help would also be much appreciated.
Old 18-08-12, 01:42 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Andy,

Sadly, the only way I know of removing all types of epoxy resins etc, is heat and of course you lose the ' patina ' immediately, this isn't an issue if the badge is being re-lugged but ??????

Perhaps a PM to ' magpie ' might shed a different opinion, I don't know if his tricks of the trade differ from mine......

Dave.
Old 18-08-12, 01:52 PM

"of course you lose the ' patina ' immediately"
Dave.. can you re-patinate a badge? The fakers seem to have no problems with it. How do they do it I wonder?
Old 18-08-12, 03:33 PM

Hi Terry,

The problem with " re-patination " and the fact that the fakers can do it is not strictly correct, most people can tell when a badge has been artificially aged, again sadly, it is the unwary/unknowing who are taken in by these fakers.

Dave.
Old 18-08-12, 05:19 PM

Hi Andy,

If your cement is epoxy resin, I can tell you that it is a combination of organic and inorganic compounds that can be removed by a 50:50 ratio of acetone and water. The acetone is great organic solvent and water removes inorganic species. Mix the acetone and water together and you have a solvent that can remove most unwanted chemical compounds. Use a wooden toothpick dipped in the solvent and apply to the area. The wooden toophpick should not damage the badge and the patina to the other parts of the badge should not be affected. This method is also valid for removing verdigris (copper salts) from your brass badges. As with any method, try the mixture on a dud badge first.

Safety when using the solvent described above: Acetone is flammable so keep away from sources of ignition. It is also mutagenic. Wear safety glasses and gloves at all times.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 18-08-12, 06:54 PM

Thanks to all, very great-full.
Andy
Old 18-08-12, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Hi Andy,

If your cement is epoxy resin, I can tell you that it is a combination of organic and inorganic compounds that can be removed by a 50:50 ratio of acetone and water. The acetone is great organic solvent and water removes inorganic species. Mix the acetone and water together and you have a solvent that can remove most unwanted chemical compounds. Use a wooden toothpick dipped in the solvent and apply to the area. The wooden toophpick should not damage the badge and the patina to the other parts of the badge should not be affected. This method is also valid for removing verdigris (copper salts) from your brass badges. As with any method, try the mixture on a dud badge first.

Safety when using the solvent described above: Acetone is flammable so keep away from sources of ignition. It is also mutagenic. Wear safety glasses and gloves at all times.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Gaz
Cheers Gaz,

Don't we just live and learn ? that has gone straight into my little black book, very informative.......

Hi Terry,

Here is an example of what I mean about artificially aged badges, again it's not my badge and both the owner and myself are aware of the apparent flaw just above the index finger but a quick look at the badge hints at it being OK.

The lugs have very small feet and could be acceptable and they are brazed, it even has a Sharman mark but from the front especially, it doesn't appear to be right, in our opinion we think it has been aged ?? if I'm wrong, well, it's just another case of me suffering from the old " foot in mouth " disease ???

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg specials 084.jpg (65.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg specials 085.jpg (67.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 18-08-12, 08:29 PM

You`ve got a bloody good eye for detail Dave, nice one.
Andy
Old 19-08-12, 02:51 PM

see following post.

Last edited by RMR; 19-08-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 19-08-12, 02:59 PM

Araldite type adhesives can be removed by painting the affected area with nitromors and sealing in a plastic bag overnight,my wife has used this trick many times.You can repatinate brass badges with a liquid called tourmaline brown.Roger
Old 19-08-12, 03:06 PM

JimD. Your great, i soaked the badge in nail polish when you gave me the idea. I`ve just got in, looked at the badge and the cement flicked off, well chuffed.
Thanks Andy
Old 19-08-12, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Araldite type adhesives can be removed by painting the affected area with nitromors and sealing in a plastic bag overnight,my wife has used this trick many times.You can repatinate brass badges with a liquid called tourmaline brown.Roger
Hi Roger,

I hope this finds you well ?

I use ' Tourmaline Brown ' and a gunsmiths' 'Brass Brown ', I feel they are more suited to actually bronzing brass rather than re-patinating ( only my opinion of course ), I have forgotten the number of times that I have tried to bring back the real patination to a badge, only to be asked to clean it off by the owners.

As you can imagine, I have several repaired badges in my own collections and hand on heart, I cannot say that I have managed to fetch a single one back to it's original colour, as I say, this is just my opinion but I'm sure there are a few members who although they were happy with what I did, would still have preferred the original " hue ", so to speak.

There you go mate, I'm not contradicting you but just offering a different opinion. as an example. see photo ?? on the left, a repair and on the right an original, that's what I'm talking about.....

Dave.

PS, Sorry Andy, I've just hi-jacked your thread, not intentionally of course...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repairs.2. 053.jpg (90.4 KB, 28 views)