British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-19, 09:28 PM

Default Somerset Light Infantry Museum - Captain Simmon Latutin GC

Good evening

Are any Forum members frequenters of, or planning a trip to, the Somerset Light Infantry Museum in Taunton (or whatever form it currently takes)?

I would be interested to learn if they have any ephemera - postcards, booklets - for sale chronicling the late Captain Simmon Latutin GC and his posthumous award of the George Cross (held by the museum) whilst seconded from the Somerset Light Infantry to the Somalia Gendarmerie in 1944.

If anyone in that area can help I would be most grateful.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 04-04-19, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Graham

I will have a look for you. The Museum is part of the Somerset Museum in the castle in Taunton and does not have a shop of it's own so there is not much military things for sale.

Alan
Old 04-04-19, 09:49 AM

I was there a month ago and Alan is right, there is not much in the gift shop. They did have one book on the SLI but I don't remember seeing much else. Colin
Old 04-04-19, 01:08 PM

I cannot really help - but did come across this (which I am sure you have already seen).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GC.pdf (399.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-04-19, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Graham

I will have a look for you. The Museum is part of the Somerset Museum in the castle in Taunton and does not have a shop of it's own so there is not much military things for sale.

Alan
Thank you Alan, greatly appreciated, I look forward to hearing from you

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 04-04-19, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
I was there a month ago and Alan is right, there is not much in the gift shop. They did have one book on the SLI but I don't remember seeing much else. Colin
Thank you Colin, yes, the "regimental museum" - along with too many regiments - is becoming a thing from the past .

All the best

Graham
Old 04-04-19, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
I cannot really help - but did come across this (which I am sure you have already seen).
Thank you Wooffy, I hadn't actually seen this so it is a great help as it covers the period I am interested in. I only came across this affair by chance last night browsing for information on the Somalia Gendarmerie and found a much longer article covering Captain Latutin's life in a journal on JSTOR, with so far the only photograph of an officer wearing the SG cap badge, and decided to investigate further.

Thanks again

Graham
Old 04-04-19, 06:21 PM

....probably the clearest image I've found on the web
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simmon Latutin.jpg (24.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-04-19, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Plastic dinosaurs, keyrings and a nice line in ecological toys but nothing related to your man in the shop I am afraid.
Old 08-04-19, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Plastic dinosaurs, keyrings and a nice line in ecological toys but nothing related to your man in the shop I am afraid.
Thank you very much Alan, I greatly appreciate the time you've given to look into this for me. I'll get in touch with the museum over the Summer and, if they have any reference material, plan a trip there next year.

Many thanks again

Graham
Old 08-04-19, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
....probably the clearest image I've found on the web
Thank you, that's the one, I'll try to track down the copyright owner as I'd like to get a close-up of his badge, and perhaps use the photo when I re-display my BMA Police collection.

Thanks again

Graham