British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-11, 06:39 AM

Rather than a star or other ranking system, it is already possible for those members with a particular interest or long term experience in collecting either badges in general or to specific regiments ( or themes ) to note these in "About me" in their Public Profiles.

If members were to provide a mini C.V. in their Public Profile,this might give members seeking information an idea of the level of knowledge of members posting answers.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-08-11, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Rather than a star or other ranking system, it is already possible for those members with a particular interest or long term experience in collecting either badges in general or to specific regiments ( or themes ) to note these in "About me" in their Public Profiles.

If members were to provide a mini C.V. in their Public Profile,this might give members seeking information an idea of the level of knowledge of members posting answers.

P.B.
For what it is worth I support this suggestion 100%
Mike
Old 21-08-11, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post

P.B.
May I offer my total support for Peter's suggestion also. David
Old 21-08-11, 09:06 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

That is a good idea Peter,

A lot of members can higfhlight their interest in and knowledge of both individual Regiments and Militaria in general ( yourself and Julian would be classic examples re The King's Regiment ).

One pit-fall I see and to coin my favourite phrase " experts in their own minds ", there is one so-called expert who insiste that brass Scottish badges are Economy Issue when in fact they are either Canadian badges or at worst, downright copies, hence realising higher prices when being sold.

I fell for that once and I'm sure so will quite a few new collectors, how would you legislate for that sort of behaviour ? and who would vet what was being written in the " mini CV's " ??

I hope this isn't too negative but it must surely be a consideration.

Dave.
Old 21-08-11, 09:32 AM
Banned

Dave - To single out one opinion from one member is hardly fair, is it ? We have all been guilty of giving opinions that have turned out to be off target with subsequent information. I for one freely admit that, where I get something wrong, I acknowledge it - but that's me - I just don't expect everyone to be the same. I have read some crass opinions on this and other Forums but so what ? At the end of the day it is for the reader to make up their own mind. Life isn't a feather bed and the university of hard knocks isn't so bad an education. David
Old 21-08-11, 09:49 AM
Former Member

I think the "About Me" option is a great idea too!

I think (know) I may be one who has made sometimes "crass" comments, but as David said, everyone has their own mind to make up and opinions too!

Saying sorry when you make an error or at least accepting fault where it's due is all part of the collecting "Learning Curve". If members could make good errors once they have been put on the right track, that would also be nice! Then we would not have such items as this passing from one member to another?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=43153

A copied or altered badge sold as genuine!

Best regards

Andy
Old 21-08-11, 10:00 AM

David,

Fortunately or sadly, depending on your perspective, your opinion means as much to me as my wife's opinion on the validity of one of my badges and she knows nothing.

Your ' holier than thow ' attitude really is tiresome and I have to wonder, despite one or two members getting agitated by your constant little remarks, if you actually realise how many people think you are a pain in the rectum.

Many members on this forum ( fact ) are sick to death of your ' words of wisdom ', I personally need to hear them like I need a migraine.......

Dave.
Old 21-08-11, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
David,

Fortunately or sadly, depending on your perspective, your opinion means as much to me as my wife's opinion on the validity of one of my badges and she knows nothing.

Your ' holier than thow ' attitude really is tiresome and I have to wonder, despite one or two members getting agitated by your constant little remarks, if you actually realise how many people think you are a pain in the rectum.

Many members on this forum ( fact ) are sick to death of your ' words of wisdom ', I personally need to hear them like I need a migraine.......

Dave.
Thanks Dave - Always reassuring to know that you can turn an intelligent exchange of views by other Forum members into open abuse. No further comment necessary. David
Old 21-08-11, 12:12 PM

Not abuse mate, a reality check, I do wish there was a " go away " button though.

Dave.
Old 21-08-11, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

The discussion is moving off the thread topic. Lets keep the focus on "members' descriptors" in relation to the theme of the thread.
Old 21-08-11, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The discussion is moving off the thread topic. Lets keep the focus on "members' descriptors" in relation to the theme of the thread.
My apologies Bill,

I think I've said enough too.

Dave.