British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-08, 01:42 PM

Default Any Thoughts On What This Badge Is

hi guys
i have this badge and i know, its red cross, but who used it and what was it for?
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5103.jpg (35.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 22-04-08, 02:22 PM

Hi BC,
What does the lettering around the outside say ?
Regards
Bantam.
Old 22-04-08, 02:30 PM

Red Cross Volunteer Motor Corps. I suspect these pins were issued to show volunteer service with the Corps.

These things are quite interesting for sure and very under rated IMO. I have never been very sucessful in looking up Red Cross items other that through the "American Red Cross" I think they are pretty close and should give you an idea of whats what.

From the American Red Cross web site, I got the following....

Motor Corps consisted almost entirely of women who clocked over 61 million miles answering nine million calls to transport the sick and wounded, deliver supplies, and take volunteers and nurses to and from their posts. In all, 45,000 women served in the Motor Corps during World War II. Most drove their own cars and many completed training in auto mechanics in order to be able to make automotive repairs on their own (44,668 volunteers in 1942-43).

The site is quite interesting and one I have visited more than a few times in the past. Here is the link. http://www.redcross.org/museum/history/ww2a.asp

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca