British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-19, 10:29 AM

Default Drummer

1st Bn Black Watch Aldershot 1913.
Wearing wings, pipers dirk, kilt pin, QVC belt clasp and regimental buttons.
Old 26-05-19, 11:07 PM

Great shot. I do not believe those are regimental buttons however, but are the standard OR pattern with the Royal Arms.
He appears to be quite a wee fellow!
CB
Old 27-05-19, 01:03 PM

Hi CB, I've looked long and hard with an eyeglass at those buttons. At first I convinced myself, now I'm not so sure!
Ron.
Old 27-05-19, 03:47 PM

I can see "crown and inch" on the collar, but nowhere else. I would have expected it on sleeves and cuff ....... Is the garment perhaps not the equivalent of the scarlet tunic, but is a "second" garment, above the frock equivalent?
Old 27-05-19, 04:28 PM

The Royal Highlanders regimental button was engraved style with no border, not a raised design like these. Also, I note tape along the sleeve seam which is very dark, not the white background I would expect. I think old photography may be playing some tricks to our eyes here.

CB
Old 27-05-19, 05:00 PM

CB,
The tape on the sleeve could be where drummers lace has been removed?
Ron.
Old 27-05-19, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
The Royal Highlanders regimental button was engraved style with no border, not a raised design like these. Also, I note tape along the sleeve seam which is very dark, not the white background I would expect. I think old photography may be playing some tricks to our eyes here.

CB
If the photographic film were ortho [almost certainly], then white is rendered white, and red is rendered black.
The collar tape/ piping is as one would expect.
In those distant days of full dress, it was not uncommon to have a second full-dress uniform, part-worn, available. Foot Guards bands had three!
Old 16-06-19, 09:04 AM

Those look to me like bandsmen’s wings as there is no fringe and I can see no crown and inch lace bands on arms or collar. Might this not be a bandsman who has been given an old drummers doublet, with the crown and inch lace removed from the sleeves and collar top, which has left a trace because of the different shades caused by fading. Removing the drummers piping at the base of the collar and skirt pocket flaps is more difficult (it would require the removal of the collar) and so it has been left.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 16-06-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 16-06-19, 09:23 AM

Could it be that over enthusiastic ironing has resulted in the "stripe" running down the sleeve?
Old 16-06-19, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Could it be that over enthusiastic ironing has resulted in the "stripe" running down the sleeve?
There wasn’t much ironing going on then, Leigh. 1913 was still the age before vertical creases were expected, ‘American style’, and at best men ‘pressed’ their uniforms between boards under their mattress overnight.
Old 16-06-19, 09:56 AM

Yes, I thought it unlikely given that photos of the time show uniform creasing more to the horizontal rather than the vertical (my father mentioned mattress board uniform pressing being employed in his day, the 1940's).