British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-11, 09:20 PM
Banned

The second and third are standard other ranks beret badges to the Royal Observer Corps, No 2 being Kings crown, 1941 up to 1953, No 3 being Queens Crown, post 1953 but looks to be anodised so most likely 60s to 80s.

No 4 is an Observer Corps lapel badge, often worn as a cap badge on the beret by OC members. If a horseshoe fixing its a mans, pin back its a womans. Probably early war, up to 1941. No 5 is the same for the Royal Observer Corps, post 1941 up to the early 1950s. Due to the fact the ROC had cap badges by then, I dont think this was ever worn by members as a cap badge.

No 1 the same as No 5 but post 1953. Looks to be 1970s or 80s.
Old 05-02-11, 06:18 PM

Default Royal Observer Corps

Here is my cap badge, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rain hoods and ROC 006.jpg (78.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-02-11, 06:38 PM
Banned

Nice. There was also an 'economy' version, in gold silk thread rather than bullion wire...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3a.jpg (58.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 25-02-16, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
And a Head Observer title, although this one is incorrectly worn on a BD with sleeve rank badges (which actually replaced the titles).

If anyone has spares of either i'd be interested. Observer, can I ask the name of the Basil Rookley book?

Thanks
Basil was my granddad but unfortunately he passed away in 2012. His publication was entitled BADGES AND INSIGNIA 1925 -91 OBSERVER CORPS AND ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS

I knew he was interested in these badges and insignia but didn't know that he had published anything. The 1st I knew of it was at his funeral when the corp sent a message of condolence.

If you want I could ask the family if they know where you could get his book from.

David Rookley
Old 07-03-16, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle31 View Post
Basil was my granddad but unfortunately he passed away in 2012. His publication was entitled BADGES AND INSIGNIA 1925 -91 OBSERVER CORPS AND ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS

I knew he was interested in these badges and insignia but didn't know that he had published anything. The 1st I knew of it was at his funeral when the corp sent a message of condolence.

If you want I could ask the family if they know where you could get his book from.

David Rookley
David, that's a very kind offer. Not a book I've seen and would be interested to get a look at it.