British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-23, 03:27 PM

Default Cleaning/Polishing Badges

I recently came across a rare badge I need for my collection and this example is in sterling silver. Unfortunately a previous owner decided to clean and polish away decades of lovely patina. How much affect does cleaning and polishing a badge have on it’s value? I realize everyone has different opinions on this, but I would like to hear what others think about this.
Old 08-09-23, 03:53 PM

Cleaning silveris fine, I dont like dirty badges and I use a silver dip that doesnt harm them.

Polishing silver is a different matter as it obliterates the details and therefore can lower the value compared to an unpolished one.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-09-23, 03:56 PM

You should never "polish" sterling silver items. To clean is one thing, to polish is something else. Use "silver dip". This is a liquid which removes tarnish from silver. Immerse the item in the solution, leave it for several minutes. Remove it and rinse in cold water. Dry gently using a soft cloth. There should be no need to aggressively rub or polish the surface. Whether to clean or not is a personal decision.

Dave.
Old 08-09-23, 04:04 PM

Always clean mine -lovely patina =,dirt /oxidisation How often do you see dirty badges in museum collections Some say don't clean badges as it to prove its genuine If you know what you are buying makes no difference Collecting approx 50 years.
just received today nice sterling silver medal first thing Idid was to clean it to get rid of the patina/dirt

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 08-09-23 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 04:10 PM

Removed duplicate
Old 08-09-23, 04:57 PM

I prefer to only clean dirt, verdigris or left over polish residue. Other wise I leave them as is. I basically use warm water a soft liquid soap and usually just my fingers, or if need be a very soft brush like is used for make up by the ladies. This is for no silver badges as I only clean dirt from those.

As has been said we each have our preferences, but I do like hearing what others think and do.

Terry
Old 08-09-23, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Always clean mine -lovely patina =,dirt /oxidisation How often do you see dirty badges in museum collections Some say don't clean badges as it to prove its genuine If you know what you are buying makes no difference Collecting approx 50 years.
just received today nice sterling silver medal first thing Idid was to clean it to get rid of the patina/dirt
Totally agree. They were not worn tarnished. I always remove the oxidisation from silver badges and medals, that is what it is, not patina. A light clean with a very soft silver cleaning paste and thereafter a coating with a microcrystalline wax will be enough. I haven't had to touch most of mine for decades after this.
Old 08-09-23, 06:14 PM

An initial clean with Fairy liquid and toothbrush, assess if it needs Silverpolish, if it does the toothbrush comes in handy again, from a Grimy badge I have uncovered a Gem!
Old 08-09-23, 09:23 PM
LYPAO Boff

I always clean my badges.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 09-09-23, 07:30 AM

I also clean my badges that I post with medals to the same regiment..... There is no Seargent Major in the world will allow you to be on parade with dirty badges.....

Now how do I clean......

I use a polish that has a miniscule fiberglass abrasive rather than the grit that you find in polishes like brasso and silvo..... This does not scratch the metal on the badge and works fantastically on medals leaving no marks.....

The other way I learned by accident..... Many years ago I purchased a badge that was very very dirty and had a lot of green verdigris on it and I accidentally left it in my pants pocket and it went through the wash..... When it came out it was as shinny as brand new.... If I have a very bad badge I put it in an old sock, tie a knot in the end and put it in the wash much to the dismay of the wife.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 09-09-23, 09:41 AM

As a minimum I will hand wash a badge with a neutral soap and water, using a soft tooth brush if necessary. This will remove dirt and oils (that even come from your hands / handling) that could lead to damage to the badge if left unchecked long enough.

For verdigris I find nail polish remover very effective in clearing it, using soaked cotton buds to rub it off. But give the badge a good wash afterwards again so all that chemical is removed. But AVOID using nail polish remover on or near anything plastic, as there is a very good chance it can melt the plastic.

Whilst doing the above will remove the dirt and inevitably make the badge a bit brighter, it doesn’t affect the patina.

Of course if there is staining to the metal / patina you don’t like, then it is out with the polish of choice. Again a tooth brush can be useful to get the polish in the nooks and crannies of a badge. Yes, you then have a shiny badge, but it will dull down again with time if preferred.

The trick for a total clean after polishing is to then get rid of any polish residues with soap, water and tooth brush again. BUT you must use only cold water, otherwise hot water will obviously heat the metal and in the case of brass / gilding metal cause it to immediately loose it’s shine / go dull orange. Of course if you prefer your brass/GM badge dull, this will help it back on its way to that state after polishing.

Cheers……John
Old 09-09-23, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I always clean my badges.
Griff, after that wonderful success you had of restoring that burnt DHIY badge to glory, would you mind imparting some detailed insight into how you achieved your results please?

I am particularly interested in the use of vinegar and in what measurements / quantities should be utilised, as it is a method I have never tested.

Cheers……John
Old 09-09-23, 10:37 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I am particularly interested in the use of vinegar and in what measurements / quantities should be utilised, as it is a method I have never tested.
There was no magic formula John. It was neat white vinegar you can buy in the store (pickling vinegar) and a small "cheap" sonic cleaner that you can buy for watch & ring cleaning. I filled the sonic clear up with the vinegar and basically ran it for an hour and a bit. I took it out in intervals just to clean off the loose stuff with a toothbrush and soap and water and plunged it back in again after I did that. I did use a toothpick and a small scratch awl to get some really stubborn stuff off, on the braise specifically. I used some very fine sandpaper to knock back the brass on the slider. But I think the end result was a good one

I use "neat" vinegar normally to get rid of decades of grease and crud on the surface of a badge, especially good for officers gilt badges... they come back to their original sparkle after a 30 minute dip in vinegar.

* I wish I knew the back story to this one... sadly the seller didn't know it.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 09-09-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-09-23, 12:14 PM

Thanks Griff And yes that DHIY is now a fine example of what some care and attention can achieve.

Cheers……John
Old 09-09-23, 07:07 PM

Thank you gentlemen. Your posts have been educational and insightful.

Verdigris is one thing, patina is another. While I have cleaned badges, I have never polished one.

Patina is any signs of ageing of an antique, whether it be fading, darkening, or oxidising, patination occurs on almost any material. Are there any instances where you would want to preserve the patina?