British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-12, 03:45 PM

Default Home Guard 1951

Hi Chaps, a somewhat obscure topic for you, can anyone give me information on the insignia worn by those members of the Home Guard who volunteered for it's reimagination in 1951? Obviously small units were formed and I have discovered the topic of uniform was hotly debated but I have had trouble tracking down any solid regulations.
Old 04-09-12, 04:36 PM

Default Home Guard 1951

Details of the uniforms and badges of the HG of this period can be found in the book I co-authored with Terry Carney In the Space of a Single Day

Reprints can be obtained from MLRS Books at http://www.mlrsbooks.co.uk/

Hope that helps

Jon Mills
Postwarden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover reprint.jpg (53.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-09-12, 04:45 PM

Default Home Guard 1951

The HG wore battledress, with whire/red embroidered 'HOME GUARD' arm titles, and a supplementary title giving the number and name of the county in which they served. The latter titles were also white on red, and made of a man-made material giving the appearance of 'flock' wallpaper [there are only a couple of hundred different variations to find!].
All the dress regulations were published as Army Council Instructions and Army Orders.

For a good background either find a copy of Jon Mills book 'IN THE SPACE OF A SINGLE DAY : LDV and Home Guard uniforms and insignia' or John Sainsbury's book 'The Home Guard in Hertfordshire 1952-1957'. Whilst the latter relates to Herts it does contain much on the national picture.

Stephen.
Old 05-09-12, 10:21 AM

That's excellent, thanks very much, I picked up a blouse on eBay the other day and in that instance it is accurate and the insignia original, the small county titles are indeed very unusual!

Old 05-09-12, 07:17 PM

I've seen of few of this type of county title with number discribed as ACF/CCF in the past!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 06-09-12, 03:54 PM

I have all of the Northumberland titles for the period bar about one or two - they were found in manufacturers book in Northern Irleand many years. Plus I have a copy of Regulations for 1952 describing the titles as mentioned by Badjez. Sadly I can't copy the details as I'm back abroad.

Last edited by Graham Stewart; 06-09-12 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 06:45 PM

Cool Essex 2nd phase Home Guard

About twenty or so years ago a number of these came on the market. I bought quite a lot from a friend who lives in Essex, No's 1-12, 14-17, 19 and 20.

I would be interested if anyone has No's 13 and 18 possibly spare or wishes to exchange or sell.

Also does anyone know how far the No's went up to?

Rob
Old 06-09-12, 06:55 PM

HI just as a footnote,
durring the late 1980`s I spent many weekends tracking down WW2 Home Guard members as this was what I collected then.

More often than not a lot of these guys had served again in what is now called the ` second faze ` Home Guard in the 1950`s and it was fascinating to see these guys were just as passionate about their second round of service if not more so - this time the threat been perceived as the Communists , the people who lived through that early post war-coldwar period really did take their service and the possible threat very seriously indeed .

A collection based around the 1950`s Home Guard,Civil Defence and Observer Corps would be very interesting to see

just though I would share .......

Last edited by NEMO; 06-09-12 at 07:01 PM.