British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-16, 01:07 PM

I have a photograph of a brass one, rounded scroll from the KOSB regimental museum in Berwick, looks the same as yours, it says 'all brass version issued for a short period in 1915 (very rare)'. Maybe its wrong? If there is a thread saying its a 1908 badge?
Old 28-08-16, 01:20 PM

IMG_20160828_141838.jpg
Old 28-08-16, 04:03 PM

Paddy
I just wanted to qualify my earlier comment about your w/m ERII badge. It does conform to other examples and also to the one shown in Bloomer - but please remember that though worn by the Regiment I don't think there is any evidence they were issued - being private purchase only I suspect. The a/a badge of course was the badge issued. I know what I would have worn though if I had been in the KOSB.
Old 28-08-16, 07:55 PM

Hi 3dg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
I have a photograph of a brass one, rounded scroll from the KOSB regimental museum in Berwick, looks the same as yours, it says 'all brass version issued for a short period in 1915 (very rare)'. Maybe its wrong? If there is a thread saying its a 1908 badge?
Would you have by any chance more photo's of this or other boards at the museum, I would be very interested in seeing them.

Regards,

Albert

Here is link to my KOSB collection:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1342
Old 28-08-16, 08:42 PM

Hi Albert, yes I do have photos of all the badges, I'll do my best, don't know how they'll come out, I'll do my best. Amazing KOSB badges, fantastic collection, thanks for the link. I'll be on to the photos soon.
Old 28-08-16, 08:47 PM

IMG_20160807_162359262_HDR.jpg
Old 28-08-16, 08:58 PM

Hope they're OK, the first one on its own is the last pic if that makes sense, went a bit wrong
Old 28-08-16, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Hello good people, this badge was in a box of old buttons, is it any good? Thanks for your time. Attachment 154993
Don't think it is any good. The rounded dominus scroll and seven arrow loops or oillets on the castle are all officers badges traits, versus a concave dominus scroll and three arrow loops on other ranks badges, and all badges have voids in the crest between the crown and lion. There are plenty of these for sale on Ebay at any time, and in different metals, and I believe these to be restrikes from an officers die at best.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 28-08-16, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Does anyone know if the rounded shape of the motto scroll that carries the word DOMINUS on 3DG’s badge is significant? Is it just a maker’s variation or for a particular cap – e.g. Kilmarnock bonnet?

I have a number of KOSB badges and they all have a flatish DOMINUS scroll except one. My rounded scroll example is a fretted badge. It’s in the middle of the old scan of KOSB badges I took some time ago. The only reference I can find for this particular shape is KK 239 (which also appears fretted in KK). KK write it up as a post 1891 KOSB cloth helmet badge that was later used on the Kilmarnock bonnet in 1904. (The later KC version being shown). Though mine doesn't appear ever to have helmet fitments.

I ask because there is a very obvious QVC KOSB fake with the round DOMINUS scroll that is seen regularly on eBay. I got caught out with it myself years ago and I'm therefore suspicious of any with a rounded bottom scroll unless KK 239.
Yours is an officers badge if solid silver or nco's badge if plated or w/m.

Remember that there was a strong tradition within the KOSB to wear the oldest badge possible, either handed down from ancestors who served earlier, hence the tradition, or bought wherever possible, which muddles the discussion about what is original and what is not.

Attached pic was taken in Irak. Note the Victorian pattern badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minden_kosb_hr.jpg (71.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 28-08-16, 09:21 PM

Hello Thomas. Don't know what to think now, seems others have the same badge in their collections, do you not think its just a makers difference? Annoyed if its a copy, sick to death of the restrike game!!!!
Old 28-08-16, 09:23 PM

Hi 3dg,

Thanks very much for the photo's.

I have to say, I tend to agree with Thomas, Looking at all the non voided badges with the round scroll that are for sale and have been in the past I think at least they are dodgy.

Besides, I have never seen photographic evidence that they really were worn.

Regards,

Albert.
Old 28-08-16, 09:29 PM

Have a look here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=29494 as well.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 28-08-16, 09:37 PM

Quote:
do you not think its just a makers difference?
No, the different amount of arrow loops or oillets and rounded scroll are signs of officers badges.

I also believe the museum is wrong with the 'very rare 1915 brass badge'. Why would such a badge exist? There was no reason to produce these badges in brass instead of white metal. The various threads of IWM pics with shoddy descriptions demonstrate the fallibility of museums quite sufficiently.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 28-08-16, 10:40 PM

Thanks Thomas, so much for my 50p bargain, there were some good cavalry buttons in the box so I got more than my moneys worth. Would it be pos to send pictures of good KOSB or's KC badges please, so I know what to look for, thanks again.