British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-23, 08:42 PM

I will update my listings to show I am a B&CMB member in future.

Staleyvegas

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-03-23, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
"Alan O" - I'm writing this from a position of absolute deference - one knee on the floor and head bowed.....(which is pretty tough because I can't see my keyboard, so apologies for any tipoes, sorry, typos...)

The piece you wrote all those years ago is probably more relevant now than it was then. I have so often sat and thought, "why should I waste hard earned money on bottle-tops? A lack of understanding/knowledge/education being the main reason for such depressing concerns....

That said, the Forum and people like you who share their knowledge to help goons like me, helps put things right. So I'm still collecting.

I agree, it IS time for an update and maybe (if law allows) a list of forum members who sell on e-bay so that we lesser-experienced collectors can buy with a little more confidence.

I spent £40 today on a badge that looks fantastic (really, I cant wait to see it in real life - just as soon as Postie comes off his industrial action). I think the dealer is a Forum member (??), but to know he/she is for certain, would make the transaction a whole lot easier. If we on-line buyers KNEW that the sellers were Forum members, I'm sure we'd spend more.

Anyway, thanks so much for the brilliant article - irrespective of how old it is - and yes, please update it....just gotta get up from my supplicant pose now...... Thanks Alan !!!!
You probably shouldn't get over-excited about every forum member being sent by God to tell newbies how to spot fakes. Some members in the past have been involved in some dubious stuff, to say the least.
"Not every man can have wisdom. Stupid people have to exist too, because if everyone was wise, then there would be so much good sense in the world that every other person would be driven crazy by it."
— Josef Švejk
Old 11-03-23, 02:44 PM

Hi, can anyone please tell me what I need to look out for (in terms of legitimacy) on a Guards Machine Gun Regiment WW1 British Army Cap Badge ?
Considering bidding on one, but not sure.... Thanks so much!
Old 11-03-23, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
You probably shouldn't get over-excited about every forum member being sent by God to tell newbies how to spot fakes. Some members in the past have been involved in some dubious stuff, to say the least.
Jeez, really? I may be coming across as an over-keen puppy, but wow - I thought you guys were beyond reproach.
Old 11-03-23, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would pass as ebay is full of fakes and the usual dealers lurk there and snipe anything original to sell on for over £100. The originals and copies are very very similar. However anything with lugs, pierced centres, in brass or Gaunt Bham marked is an obvious fake
Old 11-03-23, 02:58 PM

Alan, hi
You say that "anything with lugs, pierced centres, in brass or Gaunt Bham marked is an obvious fake"
But I'm not sure I understand (sorry for being dense) you surely don't mean anything with lugs is fake do you?
Also, I just paid a few quid to an e-bay dealer under the name of British & Commonwealth - whose items looked really good to me - can you confirm please, if this gentleman is a forum member ??
Many thanks Alan
Old 11-03-23, 03:08 PM

Josef, love your down-to-earth honesty, really do. Thanks so much from a confused newbie collector (who's thinking of going back to bayonet collecting!)
Old 11-03-23, 03:13 PM

Thanks so much - you are now saved as a trusted dealer in my e-bay account - and I WILL be buying from you in the near future. Cheers Simon !
Old 11-03-23, 03:15 PM

.....actually. I HAVE just bought from you, sorry! (didn't read your post well enough).
Will deffo be buying more from you !!
GB
Old 11-03-23, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alan, hi
You say that "anything with lugs, pierced centres, in brass or Gaunt Bham marked is an obvious fake"
But I'm not sure I understand (sorry for being dense) you surely don't mean anything with lugs is fake do you?
Also, I just paid a few quid to an e-bay dealer under the name of British & Commonwealth - whose items looked really good to me - can you confirm please, if this gentleman is a forum member ??
Many thanks Alan
That's for a Guards Machine Gun cap badge. they are faked with lugs, pierced and in brass where as the genuine ones were metal metal stars on sliders.
Old 11-03-23, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Jeez, really? I may be coming across as an over-keen puppy, but wow - I thought you guys were beyond reproach.
That's why we have a few 'former members' including a number of people who deal in cap badges on ebay and on their own websites.
Old 11-03-23, 04:07 PM

The chances of finding a good Guards MG on ebay are very slim. Ebay was a good place to find the occasional deal on some hard to find badges, but it I find it is becoming much more difficult as of late. But there are still plenty of good common infantry or corps badges to be had there. For me, I have all but given up on ebay these days. Dealers tend to be very expensive and postage from the UK to US has become a major obstacle for me as of late. Hard to justify buying a badge at 20 quid and the postage is 15 or more!
At any rate, I always recommend that when you spot a badge of interest that you are unsure of, research it here on the forum first before buying. Ten minutes of research here can pay off in big way!

CB
Old 11-03-23, 04:15 PM

Absolute gold-dust - thanks so much Alan, your advice is massively well received.
Not only because you've just saved me £50, but also because you've stopped some shyster getting money for nothing!
Old 11-03-23, 04:24 PM

Seriously, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that advice - thanks so much for your up-front honesty.
Over the last few months I've been considering whether or not to knock badge collecting on the head because of the wasted £'s on forgeries and wrong-'uns, but with help and guidance from people like you, I think it's worth cracking-on.
Thanks again !!
Old 11-03-23, 04:43 PM

The last genuine GMGR I saw on eBay was Sept/Oct 2021 and sold for £355 or thereabouts.