British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-08, 03:10 PM

Default A posting from yesterday?

I know this sounds daft, but I can't seem to find a posting from yesterday (or at least, that was the last time I was on the forum), that showed an unidentified badge with a bear holding a staff. Someone wanted to know what it was. To me, it looks like a Royal Warwickshire Regiment collar badge (see Colin Churchill's book), as the Warwickshire Yeomanry cap badge is different and the bear is facing the other way.
Old 03-07-08, 03:14 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
I know this sounds daft, but I can't seem to find a posting from yesterday (or at least, that was the last time I was on the forum), that showed an unidentified badge with a bear holding a staff. Someone wanted to know what it was. To me, it looks like a Royal Warwickshire Regiment collar badge (see Colin Churchill's book), as the Warwickshire Yeomanry cap badge is different and the bear is facing the other way.
David, I think the posting was done before yesterday. David
Old 03-07-08, 04:40 PM

Cant recall the post either, but at any rate, the Bear and Ragged Staff is the old device of the Earls of Warwick and was used by the Warwickshire Yeo. only, not by the Royal Warwickshire Regt. on their caps or collars.

CB
Old 03-07-08, 06:55 PM

David, it was a post by Stanley_C_Jenkins of 27/06/08 #48.
Jo
Old 04-07-08, 01:54 PM

Thanks to all for clarifying that. I've been away on business and hadn't seen any postings for a while, hence the confusion over when it was posted. I still query whether the bear and ragged staff was used exclusively by the Warwickshire Yeomanry, and not the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Gaylor shows the Warwickshire Yeomanry as wearing it, but Churchill's history of infantry collar badges shows variations of the badge, with bears facing left and right as those worn by the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
Old 04-07-08, 02:20 PM
Administrator

just out of interest, if you click on the post number, it will open the post on its own, in a new window, so you can copy the url and link directly to it, like this:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...9&postcount=48

Old 04-07-08, 03:15 PM

Thanks Mike, NOW you tell me. I needed to know that two days ago.
Cheers
Jo