British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-08, 09:44 AM

Default Unidentified WW2 Royal Tank Regiment Shoulder Patch

My Great-Uncle Vernon was a member of the RTR who was serving in India circa 1941.

I don't have a scan but I can describe it from the black and white. It looks like either a horse or a lion rampant in black on a lighter background (of course, it being B&W doesn't help much).

Just wondering if anybody has a clue on this one. I'd be thrilled to know. So would his sister (my grandmother).
Old 30-06-08, 01:41 PM

Not much to go on, these are the only ones to spring to mind that have a black animal other than a Gerbal. Could it possibly be one of these Armoured examples?
4 Div Recce, 30 Corps, 11 Armoured Division.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recce-4thdiv.jpg (3.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 30th-corps.jpg (2.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 11th-armdiv.jpg (5.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 30-06-08, 03:38 PM

Maybe Vernon was attached to an Indian Armoured unit as an instructor? Hre's something that may put you on a course to find more about him in India.

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/India/India.html

Cheers
Jo
Old 30-06-08, 05:34 PM

Hi

From the description that you give. It could be a red prancing unicorn picked out in black on yellow disc. If so, it was the formation sign of the 101st [Bihar & Orissa] L of C Area.

Regards
Arthur
Old 30-06-08, 08:08 PM

The 30th looks like a match! Thanks!

That's some great information

I'll see what else I can find and pass it along to you guys once I do. Least I can do.
Old 02-07-08, 07:12 AM

....or not. Damn. I took another look at it today (my grandmother has it in a place where I can't really scan it)...

Is there any resource which would show all the formation badges for the RTR?

If not, I'll try to describe it better... it looks most definitely like a horse in a dark color on a light color and the horse takes up a good portion of it and is up on it's hind legs.

I think.

It's small and not very clear

Which is why a resource I can sift through would be great
Old 02-07-08, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance1701 View Post
....or not. Damn. I took another look at it today (my grandmother has it in a place where I can't really scan it)...

Is there any resource which would show all the formation badges for the RTR?

If not, I'll try to describe it better... it looks most definitely like a horse in a dark color on a light color and the horse takes up a good portion of it and is up on it's hind legs.

I think.

It's small and not very clear

Which is why a resource I can sift through would be great
You say its not very clear. Are you sure it is a horse?

251st Indian Tank Brigade had a tiger up on its hind legs as its sign, although you could not usually see the actual hind legs. The flash was on a red background.

Another possibility. If it really is a horse, are you quite sure it was taken in India and not in England before he went overseas?

From 1941 North Kent and Surrey District were wearing a rearing white horse of Kent on a green oval.
Old 02-07-08, 05:27 PM

Guessing is all very well, but for a proper ID probably within seconds post the photo on here! Mike
Old 02-07-08, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Guessing is all very well, but for a proper ID probably within seconds post the photo on here! Mike
Hm, I'll try to take a picture of it. My grandmother has it in an old photo album. It's kinda stuck.

As to the other response. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly when/where the photo was taken. But I am sure it's a dark color on a lighter one. He looked to be a sergeant at the time.

Being here in the United States and the family members who would have more info being in the UK and not on speaking terms with the rest of us.... it kinda makes it difficult.