British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-23, 08:01 PM

Default Second Devon

Please can a Forum Member tell me what this badge is and whether it is genuine. Thank you in anticipation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7209.jpg (85.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7210.jpg (44.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 11-03-23, 10:06 PM

Greetings Chay.

This style of badge was used by Militia units and worn on the Pork Pie hat, (but possibly on other headgear, although I have seen references to Pork Pie hat only).

If this is the case, I would suggest worn by 2nd Devon Militia, also known as, (as far as I'm aware) South Devon Militia.

As for the badge itself, it appears to be ok, but who knows in this day and age, many things are faked and made to look old.

Regards.

Brian
Old 12-03-23, 08:50 AM

Default Thank you

As a general rule of thumb if anything is faked there will be several examples on the net. In this case I can not find any other example. Which makes me inclined to think it's genuine. But admit I stand to be proved wrong.
Old 12-03-23, 09:29 AM

Looks o.k as stated worn by militia units I have one to the regiment that I collect to [not Devon] white metal ,die struck lugs in a similar position to yours Mine ex H King collection
Old 12-03-23, 11:16 AM

See: Militia: Devon.

I am a bit confused with this badge. By far the majority I have seen images of, are curving downwards (like a bathtub), not upwards like this one. And then the crown, grenade (for the grenadier company) or bugle (for the light company) was worn between the ends (a bit upwards). In this case those would have to be worn above the scroll badge.

I have seen another upwards curving badge with text EAST SURREY REGIMENT, but I doubt that is a a miltia badge. None of the militia scroll badges has the word REGIMENT. There was no Surrey militia regiment designated East. For Surrey see: Militia: Surrey.

The text SECOND DEVON however is fine for for 25th, or 2nd Devon Regiment of Militia, but is it a pork pie hat badge?

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 12-03-23, 11:39 AM

Posted my militia example ,-close up photo have not loaded up ,will try later
In gallery and my album