British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-01-23, 03:47 PM

Default NEWEST ADDITION TO MY DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION #2, 2023

Hello Fellow Collectors,

I have added a new dragoon helmet to my collection newly arrived from Canada. For your viewing and comment is my new helmet, an 1871 pattern other ranks helmet to Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) circa 1907 through 1912. Also, but perhaps of little interest to the non-dragoon helmet collector, I found and added to my collect an 1871 pattern white metal helmet that has never had a helmet plate fitted to it!

Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) was raised at personal expense by Donald Alexander Smith, First Baron Strathcona and Royal Mount with an establishment of 500 all ranks and taken into British service in January 1900 for the purpose of serving in the Boer War. The regiment arrived in South Africa in April 1900 returning to Canada in March 1901 and disbanded. The regiment was re-raised in 1909 and re-designated Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) in 1911. The regiment has been on continuous service ever since serving all the major conflicts Canada participated in and is currently part of the 1st Canadian Mechanized Brigade.

The regiment originally wore the 1871 pattern dragoon helmet in white/silver metal as stipulated in the 1903 Militia Orders and regulations. By 1907 the helmet had changed to a brass/gilt helmet retaining the 1903 helmet plate. It is unclear exactly, but sometime in 1907 the pattern of the white metal helmet plate star was changed from a hobnailed pattern to a rayed star with the central device remaining unchanged. A white over red horsehair plume was worn on both the white metal and brass pattern helmets.

This one's for you Colin17!!!

Regards to all,

David

Last edited by YeoHelmetGuy; 29-01-23 at 06:11 PM.

Tags
cavalry helmets, helmet plates, helmets, yeomanry helmets