British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-23, 04:13 PM

Jonathan,
Here's another piece of "furniture". Due to the screw posts on the back I rather suspect that this one is from a pouch or something similar.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pouch Badge - Front.jpg (116.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Pouch Badge - Rear.jpg (105.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Pouch Badge - Side.jpg (82.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-01-23, 04:48 PM

Yes indeed that’s what Keith Hook had that badge as. I was lucky enough to own it briefly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11F11B07-2FE5-4A8D-9D44-1C020B95D37E.jpg (60.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 726B6A25-9FBD-4875-99FB-E26393E031E1.jpg (59.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-01-23, 03:27 AM

Hello Kevin,

What a marvelous transformation! You have done a yeoman's job (no pun intended) on the restoration of you Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet, it is really quite nice. I am a dragoon helmet collector; my collection can be seen here on the Badge Forum under the "all albums" tab under the title "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets". I have been looking for a nice quality example of the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry or Imperial Yeomanry Cavalry helmet to add to my collection. If you are not able to find an original regimental pattern plume for your helmet, you might consider The Plumery in London to make one for you, if you are not already familiar with their services. Again, a terrific helmet and well restored!

Regards,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
I’ve long been intrigued with the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry version of this plate as shown in Bryn Owen’s book, Montgomeryshire Regiments of Militia, Volunteers & Yeomanry Cavalry, as shown in the photo 1.
I have never seen one like this but having recently bought a rather beaten up helmet with the later MYC plate as shown in photo 2 I now know the reason why it was shown like this. The small upright band shown at the top of the star is in fact part of the helmet decoration that was soldered onto the back of the star plate as it has no fixings of its own to hold it in place, as shown in photos 3 & 4. The top section being secured under the spike base at the top. Photo 5 shows the comparison between the plate that has come off the helmet & another I have which has never been fitted to a helmet from the look of it as it is not curved to shape.
Photo 6 shows the plate back in place after I’ve taken out the major dents and cleaned it all. This is not a finished project as it is missing a liner, chin chain and other minor bits and bobs. The plume is a temporary addition as it is from a modern Life Guards helmet.