British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-22, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Excellent items David,keep up the good work. Not my area at all but have an appreciation for stuff like this.
Hello Mike,

Thank you for looking at my collection and your very kind comments! I am always looking for and trying to great quality helmets to the collection. The last addition to the collection for the year is a fine royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry helmet arriving from the United Kingdom next week... I hope you will check back when I post pictures of it. What is your area of interest?

Regards,

David
Old 02-12-22, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Excellent items David,keep up the good work. Not my area at all but have an appreciation for stuff like this.
Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking time to look at a few of the dragoon helmets in my collection and the very kind acknowledgement of my efforts and quality of the collection. I am constantly on the look-out for quality helmets to add to my collection. If just enjoy viewing all manner of militaria, check back as I am awaiting the arrival of a fine Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry other ranks helmet. As soon as it arrives, I will be posting images of it here on the Forum. In the meantime, what are your militaria collecting interests?

Best regards,

David
Old 02-12-22, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfrench View Post
fine but not relevant to what I posted
Ah, I think I understand now that you are not talking about the helmet that is subject of this thread, but about the Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry helmet the OP is waiting for (and that doubtless will be the subject of a new thread).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 02-12-22, 10:07 AM

Hi David
Yes 1887 is incorrect and 1884 is the correct date. Thank you for your kind remarks ref museum website which we have recently completely overhauled. If you send me your email address, I will be happy to assist. By the way did you obtain an O/Rs or officers' pattern helmet. If the latter, I wonder if it came from the estate of the late RD Black?

Regards
Andrew
Old 02-12-22, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Ah, I think I understand now that you are not talking about the helmet that is subject of this thread, but about the Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry helmet the OP is waiting for (and that doubtless will be the subject of a new thread).
Hi Henk
Yes that's right - sorry to confuse
Regards
Andrew
Old 02-12-22, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfrench View Post
Hi David
Yes 1887 is incorrect and 1884 is the correct date. Thank you for your kind remarks ref museum website which we have recently completely overhauled. If you send me your email address, I will be happy to assist. By the way did you obtain an O/Rs or officers' pattern helmet. If the latter, I wonder if it came from the estate of the late RD Black?

Regards
Andrew
Hello Andrew,

Please check your "Private Messages", I sent you a private message yesterday with my personal email address. Any information you can share about either the black japanned or white metal helmet would be most appreciated!

The helmet is a trooper/other ranks helmet... would be thrilled to have an officer's pattern helmet in my collection but this helmet is a very welcome addition. I am not sure if this helmet is from the estate of Mr. Black, however the person I purchased the helmet from said that he had purchased it from the family of the original owner who lives in West Byfleet. Apparently, again, the person I purchased the helmet from has been in contact with you researching the helmets provenance and with your assistance narrowed original ownership down to two possible owners based on genealogy, either Trooper James Allen Jones or Trooper George Vaughn. My understanding is that the helmet, prior to my purchase was acquired from a relative on the Vaughn side of the family. I hope that's not to convoluted!

Again, please check your private messages for my personal email address.

Very best regards,

David
Old 02-12-22, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking time to look at a few of the dragoon helmets in my collection and the very kind acknowledgement of my efforts and quality of the collection. I am constantly on the look-out for quality helmets to add to my collection. If just enjoy viewing all manner of militaria, check back as I am awaiting the arrival of a fine Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry other ranks helmet. As soon as it arrives, I will be posting images of it here on the Forum. In the meantime, what are your militaria collecting interests?

Best regards,

David
My interest is Rifle Regiment badges from approx 1952 onwards . It has expanded a bit beyond there but not far. There are images on my album pages. They do need to be brought up to date though.
My friend Les Martin had some very fine helmets in his shop until recently. Shop closed down,items in storage. There may have been an Officers Staffordshire Yeomanry helmet. Paul Spellman will confirm or deny .
Old 02-12-22, 05:15 PM

Quote:
My interest is Rifle Regiment badges from approx 1952 onwards . It has expanded a bit beyond there but not far. There are images on my album pages. They do need to be brought up to date though.
My friend Les Martin had some very fine helmets in his shop until recently. Shop closed down,items in storage. There may have been an Officers Staffordshire Yeomanry helmet. Paul Spellman will confirm or deny .
Hello Mike,

What an interesting field of collecting... in my limited knowledge of Rifle Brigade badges what I do appreciate that they are perhaps one of the most ornate, intricate and attractive badges with its Maltese cross and the wreath bound with battle honors, worn by any regiment in the British Army. I will make it a point to view your album.

I was so disappointed to see Les Martins shop close, having only visited it in its on-line form, I would have loved to have visited it in person! I did have my eye on several items he displayed on-line. I would be extremely interested to know if Mr. Martin does indeed have a Queen's Own Royal (Staffordshire) Yeomanry officer's helmet and of course if it is for sale! Is Paul Spellman a member on the Forum, I would like to reach out to him or perhaps if you can!

Best regards,

David
Old 02-12-22, 09:40 PM

Yes David,Paul is a member here.
His id is the same as his name.
If there was one thing id love to do above all other would be to find the other 4 Rifle Brigade belt plates that im missing. Failing that ,to be able to photograph the full set in one place.
Old 02-12-22, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Yes David,Paul is a member here.
His id is the same as his name.
If there was one thing id love to do above all other would be to find the other 4 Rifle Brigade belt plates that im missing. Failing that ,to be able to photograph the full set in one place.
Hello Mike,

WOW!!! What a spectacular collection of badges and so beautifully displayed! I had no idea of the scope and magnitude of such a collection of "Rifles" badges. It truly is most impressive! It must represent years of searching and collecting. i hope you are able to find the four belt plates you need to complete your collection. How does the change in monarchs affect your collection? I suspect that it will be several years before you see new badges as i think I read somewhere that existing Elizabeth II badges will be used until exhausted.

I came across something I saw the other day and remembered it as I was looking at your collection of London Rifle Brigade. Though, not badges I thought them interesting... a set of six London Rifle Brigade badged teaspoons with a Sheffield 1908 hallmark. I can send you a link to site that has them for sale if you are remotely interested in looking at them.

I will reach out to Paul Spellman regarding the Staffordshire helmet... Thank you for the "heads-up".

Regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_794xN.3411768421_ryip (1).jpg (116.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg il_794xN.3411768173_rcpu.jpg (71.2 KB, 2 views)

Tags
cavalry helmets, headgear, helmets, yeomanry helmets