British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-22, 02:37 AM

Default Z Special Unit

What insignia would Australian and New Zealand members of Z Special Unit have worn on the walking out battle dress? Thank you.
Old 08-09-22, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Hello 13 Pdr, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 08-09-22, 04:59 PM

Hello 13 Pdr,

I think you will find that Army personnel of 'Z' Aust Special Unit wore Service Dress with the Commonwealth Pattern headdress and collar badges, AUSTRALIA shoulder titles, and the colour patch, if any, of the previous unit to which they had belonged.

Particularly so for officers who were seconded in their units for duty with Services Reconnaissance Department.

I imagine RAN personnel wore their normal rig with whatever rating and non-substantive badges they were entitled to, and HMAS cap tally.

'Z' Aust Special Unit was simply a holding unit to give unit identity to all these disparate personnel for the purposes of record-keeping, pay, etc.

Keith
Old 08-09-22, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello 13 Pdr, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Thank you Bill.
Old 08-09-22, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Hello 13 Pdr,

I think you will find that Army personnel of 'Z' Aust Special Unit wore Service Dress with the Commonwealth Pattern headdress and collar badges, AUSTRALIA shoulder titles, and the colour patch, if any, of the previous unit to which they had belonged.

Particularly so for officers who were seconded in their units for duty with Services Reconnaissance Department.

I imagine RAN personnel wore their normal rig with whatever rating and non-substantive badges they were entitled to, and HMAS cap tally.

'Z' Aust Special Unit was simply a holding unit to give unit identity to all these disparate personnel for the purposes of record-keeping, pay, etc.

Keith
Thank you Keith. You response gives me a little better understanding of the unit.
Old 12-09-22, 11:55 PM

Hello 13 Pdr,

I thought you might be interested in seeing a photo of this wing, a locally made version of the WW2 Australian para wing. My understanding is that the locally made version is a type seen worn by operatives of Special Operations Australia (SOA), also known by its cover name Services Reconnaissance Department (SRD), or by its administrative arm, Z Special Unit.

Best regards,
Donovan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aussie2_ft.jpg (107.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 16-09-22, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the information Donovan.