British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-13, 05:07 PM

Default Not a Motto a 17th Lancers Chapka

Gentlemen and Ladies not a Motto this time as my last post caused some interest.

this is a 1903 dated 17th Lancers Chapka dated to the skull With Hobson labels to the interior plume is synthetic sadly but everything else spot on or so I believe.

I also have a slightly earlier uniform with Belt to go with it.

enjoy

Stephen

Collecting to Stone Staffordshire and surrounding Towns and Villages. In particular the whereabouts of my Great Uncles medals

14 Star Trio 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment to 9605 Pte H Taylor known to be serving with A Coy 1915

also his brother location of his British War and Victory to 12125 Pte W.J Taylor serving with 5th Batt R.F. 1915. I have his 14/15 Star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17th 1.JPG (97.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 17th 2.JPG (102.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 17th 4.jpg (88.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 17th 3.jpg (78.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by yorkstone; 21-10-13 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21-10-13, 05:13 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Very nice Stephen,

I don't know enough to pass a constructive comment but I do know what I like !!

Dave.
Old 21-10-13, 05:40 PM
LYPAO Boff

Stephen

It looks great.....

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 21-10-13, 06:49 PM

I've always like these style of headdress, although my preference is the earlier (pre 1864) patterns.

I had the dubious pleasure of making new ones of them for the Band of the Royal Lancers to replace the fibreglass versions they were using.
Old 21-10-13, 06:51 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neibelungen View Post
I had the dubious pleasure of making new ones of them for the Band of the Royal Lancers to replace the fibreglass versions they were using.
You must have some good skill with leather, I would love to know how make one

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 21-10-13, 07:07 PM

There's very little leatherwork involved in them as such, it's more hand sewing and felt blocking with the leather stretched and glued around the base. It's all suprisingly thin and supple, it's just age that makes it feel so solid.

The top is made with the 4 sides of the palivion sections sewn into the outer edges of a clipped leather square and then pulled round a metal frame in the top and sewn to the body, so it holds itself all together into mortar-board shape. A metal ring there is sewn in to keep the shape from distorting the skull top.

David Rowes' book on lancer caps has a few pictures that show some of the process we used.
Old 22-10-13, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neibelungen View Post
There's very little leatherwork involved in them as such, it's more hand sewing and felt blocking with the leather stretched and glued around the base. It's all suprisingly thin and supple, it's just age that makes it feel so solid.

The top is made with the 4 sides of the palivion sections sewn into the outer edges of a clipped leather square and then pulled round a metal frame in the top and sewn to the body, so it holds itself all together into mortar-board shape. A metal ring there is sewn in to keep the shape from distorting the skull top.

David Rowes' book on lancer caps has a few pictures that show some of the process we used.
That's a fantastic skill set you have there.
Old 22-10-13, 12:33 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Gentlemen and Ladies not a Motto this time as my last post caused some interest.

this is a 1903 dated 17th Lancers Chapka dated to the skull With Hobson labels to the interior plume is synthetic sadly but everything else spot on or so I believe.

I also have a slightly earlier uniform with Belt to go with it.

enjoy

Stephen

Collecting to Stone Staffordshire and surrounding Towns and Villages. In particular the whereabouts of my Great Uncles medals

14 Star Trio 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment to 9605 Pte H Taylor known to be serving with A Coy 1915

also his brother location of his British War and Victory to 12125 Pte W.J Taylor serving with 5th Batt R.F. 1915. I have his 14/15 Star.
Stephen,
Is that plume (and I don't just mean the colour, because they are the same) the same type and construction i.e. with the long threaded stud etc - as the one used on the 4th RIDG helmet. David
Old 22-10-13, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Stephen,
Is that plume (and I don't just mean the colour, because they are the same) the same type and construction i.e. with the long threaded stud etc - as the one used on the 4th RIDG helmet. David
They'd both be made of horsehair but I doubt the methodology of anchoring them would be the same. Have a look here at a 4DG helmet. http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...=1963-09-599-1
Old 22-10-13, 01:39 PM

Lancer plumes are made on a brass flatish rectangular wire with a set of bends in them to fit into a socket behind the boss.

There's usually a thumbscrew inside the cap that passes into the boss socket and clamps them into place.

So ... no thread on the bottom for a wing nut to clamp onto the bottom and hold it in the stem, plus it's usually square rod for the dragoon plume.
Old 22-10-13, 03:42 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
They'd both be made of horsehair but I doubt the methodology of anchoring them would be the same. Have a look here at a 4DG helmet. http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collecti...=1963-09-599-1
Thanks for the info about the 4RIDG helmet bits, but as I already have a 4RDIG helmet - with all its bits-and-bobs - but not the 5L helmet one posted, I only asked as I have a spare horsehair one somewhere and it may have proved useful. However, it doesn't sound as if that is the case. Good to know.
David
Old 22-10-13, 07:27 PM

Dear all,

Seems to have started quite a chat,

4RIDG is of interest to me as I served with the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards back in the 80's do you have the Helmet? I am sure we would like to see it.

yours in Collecting

Stephen

Quis Separabit