British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-11, 08:05 PM
Peter J

Default Cap badge and shoulder flash ID, please

Can anyone ID the cap and shoulder flash of the soldier sitting crossed-legged on the right, amongst this group of Artillerymen, please?

RFA and Unknown 1.jpgRFA and Unknown 2.jpg

A number of good conduct, wound, and overseas service stripes on display here.

Could he be ASC, and I wonder why he is in the photo with the RFA?

With thanks,

Peter.
Old 29-08-11, 06:33 AM

Don't like being defeated by these things, but I cannot find a match for the sign in John Waring's ID Pamphlet 2 which contains the most comprehensive listing of WW1 cloth that I know of. But I'll continue to concentrate on the myriad Divisional Ammunition Columns. Can an expert confirm that the cap badge is ASC?
Old 29-08-11, 10:19 AM
Peter J

Mike,

Thanks for your help with this. I have looked at the chap's cap badge as closely as I can, and even with a jeweller's loupe cannot tell which regiment/corps he is with; the image is just not clear enough.

I was hoping that the shoulder flash might assist in identifying his regiment/corps, so perhaps (as you say) somebody will be able to nail that cap badge.

Many thanks,

Peter.
Old 29-08-11, 02:04 PM
Peter J

Mike,

These are about as close/clear as I can get:

Close up 002.jpgClose up 003.jpg

Hope they help.

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 29-08-11, 04:47 PM

Mike is right, and i agree ASC, and also agree a member of an ASC Divisional Ammunition Column.

But !! look at the Lanyard he is wearing, along with some of the other RFA guys, and also note others are not wearing the lanyard.

I'm looking at the following; (Black n white photo) Shoulder Insignia, this is what i see

A Diamond wiith Thick White Border, inside of which is "Red Background"(Normal for Ammo Columns of the ASC at that time)

I now also see a "LINE" inside of the Diamond running N-S, black or blue in colour, it may be the number 1 ??
(No.1 Ammunition Column ASC)

Notes:- There is a crease running from lower left to centre of the 1 inside the diamond. There is also a ridge slightly beneath the crease running below the 1. Both of these anomilies make the insignia look different to the naked eye on close examination.

Next:- The epillette insignia looks alot like ASC, A and C can be clearly seen in the photo.

I believe this is a family photo of a large family get together during the 1st war, before shippng overseas, as most are of similar appearance to others. The girl is obviously related to the man whose leg she is touching, as this is the way to show in the photo, who is her father or uncle etc.

There are some members of the family that could be or are still in training, hence the missing lanyards ?? only a guess on that guys.
The Lanyard is the piece in the jigsaw to me though, it maybe a bit of a laugh though, hence the guy at the back of the ASC driver with a big cheshire cat smile on his face. ??

Did the ASC have a Lanyard in the 1st War ??
If so ?? was it Black or White ?? Both are possible, so which one ??
FBK
Old 29-08-11, 05:08 PM

On further investigation, according to the limited evidence in John Waring's Pamphlet 2:
Division Ammunition Columns had variations on the RA red/blue theme whilst Divisional Train ASC has a blue/white theme. There are very few recorded WW1 flashes in the diamond format - possibly 3% of those listed.
Old 29-08-11, 06:24 PM
Peter J

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your input, chaps. Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter.

Tags
rfa, shoulder flash