British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-11, 06:06 AM

Default Home Guard-home made ?

I have never seen anything like these before and wonder if anyone has any thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Royal-...item43a946ddcd

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-08-11, 10:03 AM

Cool Home Guard

Peter,

I think have seen somewhere a Warwickshire cap badge with additional letters added to it. MM from memory which is supposd to be Morris Motors Home Guard, whether genuine, a trial pattern or pure fantasy is anyones guess. Maybe this is connected?

Rob
Old 28-08-11, 10:09 AM

Default Hampshire Home Guard

Post deleted......through poor eyesight I misread the shoulder title.
Old 28-08-11, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have never seen anything like these before and wonder if anyone has any thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Royal-...item43a946ddcd

P.B.
Perhaps an expert in metal shoulder titles could identify by size and font the source of the letters H and G? Is it possible that the H and its horizontal bar was fabricated and added to the outsize G?
Mike
Old 28-08-11, 10:46 AM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Peter,

I think have seen somewhere a Warwickshire cap badge with additional letters added to it. MM from memory which is supposd to be Morris Motors Home Guard, whether genuine, a trial pattern or pure fantasy is anyones guess. Maybe this is connected?

Rob
Rob i have seen the Warwickshire cap badge with additional letters SS added to it and the titles never seen and don't like the cloth ones on is site to

peter
Old 28-08-11, 06:55 PM

Default R.Warks

Peter,

You ring a bell with SS on the R.Warks cap badge, whether these are original or pure fantasy is anyones guess.

I'm sure we have enough knowledge on the forum to verify our thoughts.

Rob
Old 28-08-11, 07:03 PM

Am I having a senior moment, but didnt S.S. supposedly stand for Swallow Sidecars and didnt they have a connection with Jaguar cars.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-08-11, 07:55 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Am I having a senior moment, but didnt S.S. supposedly stand for Swallow Sidecars and didnt they have a connection with Jaguar cars.

Peter
Hi Peter yes SS stand for Swallow Sidecars and pure fantasy IMO

peter
Old 28-08-11, 08:01 PM

Default s.s.

Peter,
the senior moment may well be with you, but I have similar, I think Peter is correct about the s.s and it could well be linked to swallow sidecars.

However, I'm sure these would have appeared in the book about the home Guard which I think is entitled "In the space of a day". Do any forum members have this book and is it mentioned?
Old 28-08-11, 08:34 PM

Rob,
I recently acquired a copy of the book,the author is a member here.

Neither the Royal Warwicks cap badge with the additional S.S. letters nor the brass title which started this thread appear in the book which suggests to me that both are works of fiction.

It would be interesting if I am wrong.

Looking at the current bid on E bay at least a couple of people must think these titles are genuine!!!!
Peter

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 29-08-11 at 06:37 AM.