British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-16, 03:07 PM

Default Leicestershire - Long Slider

Been discussing the attached badge recently with a forum friend. We both feel it has a first pattern slider (c. 1903-1906), which is approx. 45mm in length. Perhaps forum members might like to add their thoughts?

With thanks.

Leics 1a.jpgLeics 1b.jpgLeics 1h.jpgLeics 1c.jpg
Leics 1d.jpgLeics 1e.jpgLeics 1f.jpgLeics 1g.jpg
Old 29-01-16, 03:18 PM
LYPAO Boff

Loving the detail images..... there is a thread that discusses the Pith helmet socket fitting and the associated long shank on badges.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 29-01-16, 05:55 PM
Former Member

JT,
it is just the standard 1903-06 pattern slider and I'm pretty sure nothing to do with the Pagri socket. That's just dealers spin to hike up the price! The slider was introduced in 1903 to accommodate fitting to the Brodrick cap and later (1906) shortened on the introduction of the forage cap. The Pagri slider is a slightly different beast, longer again than the 1903 slider by about 10 mm, about 1-2 mm wider at the top with a gradual taper and a squared end.

Here is a ASC "Cap Badge" and a converted KOYLI "Smasher" hat badge fitted with a "Pagri" slider. Shown either side of the said "Socket". I am not saying the long slidered cap badges were not used in the Pagri, just that, that was not their intended use!

The Pagri slider/shank is more commonly found on converted HPC.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0189.jpg (115.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 29-01-16, 07:14 PM

I agree with JT & Andy - first pattern slider
Old 29-01-16, 07:20 PM

Interestingly, I have 1st WW pattern KLR badges (regular and TF) with short and long sliders. There are also a lot of long sliders on the 1926 Patt KLR - thought to be for wear in the side cap (I can't remember the exact date these were [re]introduced at the mo). They were held in place by being sewn on, even through a hole at the bottom of the slider.
Old 29-01-16, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Interestingly, I have 1st WW pattern KLR badges (regular and TF) with short and long sliders. There are also a lot of long sliders on the 1926 Patt KLR - thought to be for wear in the side cap (I can't remember the exact date these were [re]introduced at the mo). They were held in place by being sewn on, even through a hole at the bottom of the slider.
This, on RWF, badge:

image.jpg
Old 29-01-16, 07:51 PM

Red face

I suggested to JT that as this was IMO a long slider 1903-06 Leicestershire Regiment cap badge that it may have been a pagri badge. My suggestion was based upon the 1st Battalion being stationed at Fort St. George, Madras in India during the period 1903-06, after active service in South Africa. I have seen many pictures of Leicestershire badges being worn in the pagri of the pith helmet during its time in India.

It was circumstantial and did not take into account other regular Battalion Leicestershire regiment cap badges with the long shank version was specifically for the Broderick cap.

Still learning, cheers Dean.

Last edited by mooke07; 29-01-16 at 10:47 PM.

Tags
first pattern slider, leicestershire regiment, long slider