British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-12, 10:07 PM

This hackle was part of the Head dress worn by the 626 Liverpool Irish R,A T,A Pipe Band and REGIMENT Shaw st Barracks L/Pool it was further worn by Q Battery and the pipes and drums of 470 LAA Regiment after the amalgamation in 1978 based at Aigburth rd L/Pool now the home of 208Battery 103 Regiment RA THE Liverpool IRISH now decreased to A, Troop when i was in the L/Pool Irish cadets in 1952 based in Stafford st /Pool we had the green caubeen with a red over green Hackle
The the 5th L/Pool Irish rifles that was disbanded after DDay wore a Khaki caubeen with a red and green hackle i believe their regular head dress

REGARDS ERIC FAWCETT
Old 10-07-13, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I wonder if anyone could tell me which unit wore ( or wears ) the red over blue hackle illustrated ?
P.B.
i believe i have replied to this question before anyway
originally the liverpool irish 5th kings wore a khaki caubeen with a green over red hackle when the Regiment was reformed after the War to the 626 Liverpool irish Royal Artillery T,A,1949 the Regiment went to a Green Caubeen with Red and Blue Hackle( Artillery Colors) when i joined from the L/Pool Irish cadets in 1953 the cadets still wore the green over red with a green caubeen, this head wear was worn by Q Battery and the pipes and drums of 470 regiment aigburth rd, after amalgamation in 1959 and by A troop of 103 regiment Aigburth rd after a further amalgamation in 1967 and as far as i know was still being used only on St Patricks Day and Rememberance Day up till 1999 when i last visited the Regiment
hope this is of some help in clearing this up Eric Fawcett
Old 31-10-19, 06:38 AM

I thought the Lancashire Fusiliers used a yellow feather hackle, but came across info indicating they (also) used a primrose horse hair hackle....can anyone verify this?
Old 31-10-19, 07:23 AM

The primrose feather hackle was worn in the beret (and following the demise of the Lancashire Fusiliers in 1968 passed to the Lorne Scots), the horsehair plume was worn in the fur cap.
Old 31-10-19, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernhighlander View Post
I thought the Lancashire Fusiliers used a yellow feather hackle, but came across info indicating they (also) used a primrose horse hair hackle....can anyone verify this?
Hi,
I believe the Lancashire Fusiliers wore a hackel of one colour called “Primrose Yellow”

Gerard
Old 31-10-19, 07:32 AM

Hackle and plume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191031_073156557.jpg (40.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 13-11-19, 12:07 AM

Default Lancashire Fusiler Hackle

I found this photo of a Lancashire fusilier with his pith helmet including a hackle in a book about pith helmets, though it is accepted that a yellow hackle was worn, this photo seems to suggest otherwise. It's black and white photo, so the color can't be determined, but it doesn't appear to be light enough to be yellow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191111_213422.jpg (56.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 13-11-19, 07:18 AM

Presumably the photographic process used made the yellow appear dark (often the case in old photos).
Someone will probably chip in with the technical stuff as to why.

Edit: I checked the book that you found the photo in, assuming that Stuart would have text to the photo stating unit and hackle colour - it does, the image is actually captioned as being of a Lancashire Fusilier showing the "primrose hackle".

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 13-11-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 13-11-19, 09:32 PM

Are you looking for a Lancashire Fusiliers primrose yellow horse hair plume?
Old 14-11-19, 01:39 AM

I am positive the hackle in question is Primrose yellow. Sometimes worn with the usual LF grenade flash on the FSH.
The LF flash is one of the most common Pagri flashes encountered these days.
The basic design did not change for many years (although construction did) and it was also worn on the slouch hat in ww2 and after.

CB
Old 14-11-19, 07:32 AM

Also worn on beret and on sleeve and oft repro'd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-6209-1242222206.jpg (56.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191114-075540~2.jpg (62.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-11-19 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Image added.
Old 13-01-20, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Thanks for your response, the red over blue hackle came with a chromed Liverpool Irish badge and was said to be a pipers badge/hackle but the Liverool Irish wore a blue over red hackle as in the attached photo and I am also a bit dubious about the chromed badge beinga pipers but I may be wrong.
Any ideas about the other hackle illustrated.It is red over green ,but the colours might not be too clear on the photo.
P.B.
Peter when i joined the Liverpool Irish Cadets which were in Stafford street in 1951 we wore the same uniform as the then 8th liverpool Irish 626 HAA RA,TA the head gear was a green Caubeen hat with a green over red hackle and the l/pool irish chromed badge it was a regimental badge in 1957 the Lpool Irish was amalgamated into 470 Artillery regt Aigburth rd as Q Battery with the hackle being changed to Blue over red to reflect artillery colors
5th Liverpool irish regt who was inducted into 7th Beach Groups ww11 wore a khaki type beret hat with a blue and green hackle and chrome irish badge