British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-18, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
thanks for info on Essex Regt Yeo - I noticed a medium button went for quite a lot on eBay recently (my bid was far to low).
No problem and yes it did go for a fair old sum! As far as I have been able to establish it has only been found in the medium size, which for me is another indicator that they were never worn. I think either the Regiment or Chamberlins (they've only been seen with that maker mark) jumped the gun in ordering them in anticipation...

One other you might want to add to your list, the RHA pattern (your third button) also exists in a Ball style as well as the flat one you show. And both of them can be found in anodised aluminium with KC.
Old 13-09-18, 05:51 AM

Thanks EY - I shall.
Old 14-09-18, 02:33 PM

Further to the conundrum of Yorkshire Yeo/Intelligence Corps button
I am illustrating 2 patterns of KC above rose. Before the stock reply is offered (makers difference), I would like to point out that they are both manufactured by the same maker (C.Pitt & Co Ld. London W.1. and Pitt & Co. 31 Maddox St. London. W.) I would apportion different makers marks to different periods. Would the same unit occasion a change in die? Or Are they Yorks Yeo and Intelligence Corps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IntellorYeo.jpg (30.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg intellorYeo.2.jpg (22.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 14-09-18, 03:36 PM

Are they both the same size?

I wonder if we should start a new thread on this subject showing both sides and sizes of this contentious button to see if any makers marks pre date the 1940 start of the Intelligence Corps rather than hijacking this thread?

Rob
Old 14-09-18, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post

I wonder if we should start a new thread on this subject showing both sides and sizes of this contentious button to see if any makers marks pre date the 1940 start of the Intelligence Corps rather than hijacking this thread?

Rob
I'm happy with that. It does make sense and I had been trying to predate buttons as you mention. But wasn't there an earlier Int Corps during WW1 and inter war period?

Re my buttons: the first one (with more gilt finish) is 24mm. The other is 25mm. Both spunback.
I also have an OR's button, with centre of rose different and a smaller crown. No backmark. 25mm

GTB
Old 14-09-18, 04:28 PM

Incidentally, re plate 4 of CAM's album, the button captioned as Yorkshire Yeo wm:
I have seen similar online (also rimmed) described as Officers silver Queens Own Yorkshire Dragoons.

GTB
Old 14-09-18, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post

Rob
Good idea but before we get too carried away does anyone have any references that the KC crown over rose button was ever worn by any Yeomanry units of Yorkshire or is it just that one reference in Howard's earlier book?

Roger
Old 14-09-18, 08:33 PM

Here is a new thread on the KC rose buttons:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...241#post454241